CO Elk recommendations

Kiwi

I'm starting to research CO elk units for a hunt in a few years. Starting so early as next year I plan to scout a unit (after my deer hunt) and then return a few years later to hunt the unit.

Any suggestions on units to scout in 2018? I'm a non resident and will have 5 points when I apply. Would prefer acrhery season in the rut. Opportunity is more important that a big trophy, but a chance at a 300 bull would be nice!

Thanks!

And as always happy to provide New Zealand hunting info or discuss a hunt swap.

You should be able to draw an archery tag in unit 49 as a NR with 5 points. It’s classic Colorado and The Buffalo Peaks Wilderness will allow you to get up into the high country and away from roads. Enjoy!

49 is good, 57/58 can be good as well. 48 might not be bad. Take a look at toprut.com for some options, cross reference with the CO hunt atlas to make sure you got public to hunt, and put in. Any of the units that take points will be better than our OTC options. Good luck!

Thanks ishootdasmallones! I'll take a look at those units.

Also thanks everyone for the pms. Great info!

Thanks again everyone. Think I'll try and check out unit 49 and hope the point creep isn't bad. But if it is have 23 as a backup.

Well, I am looking to apply in CO next year for elk and will have 4 points so am seriously looking at unit 67, based on the draw odds history I should be able to draw with 4 points. The point creep for potentially better units e.g. 49 mean I'd rather not wait. So if anyone archery hunts 67 this year any info would be greatly appreciated including recommend accommodation and packers. And of course where the bull elk can be found :)

If anyone else is looking at 67 archery elk next year, and wants to share a road camp or drop camp please get in touch.

And as always happy to provide New Zealand hunting info.

Last edited:
From memory this year you could draw with 3 points, for a non resident. So even with some creep I’d hope to draw next year with 4 points.

From memory this year you could draw with 3 points, for a non resident. So even with some creep I’d hope to draw next year with 4 points.

Unit 67 takes 4 points now?

Just looked, because it surprised me too, for NRs in 2019, it was 4 to guarantee, 7/18 (39%) drew with 3.

So still not a guarantee next year, Kiwi. Beautiful area down there,

Dusting off this tread as it’s finally time to use my 4 Co elk points. Been doing a lot of online research with gohunt etc and have narrowed my units down to four.
While I’m happy with my online research if anyone has ‘on the ground’ advise it would be gratefully received via PM :)
I’ll be applying first rifle around either Salida or Jefferson area.

Last edited:
Back