Caribou Gear Tarp

Co 3rd Season

Jorgy

So with all of the pictures of nice deer/elk/antelope I thought some of you guys need to see what a eater buck looks like:D

Opening morning was cold and rainy. I was at my spot at 6am, 7:30 was sunrise. Being dark clouds were above you couldn't see much until after sunrise. Not much was moving and as I was tucked under a juniper tree trying to stay as dry as I could I wasn't having much success. I had been kicking the idea around for the last few weeks if I was going to hold out for a decent buck, or if I was going to shoot the first one I saw and still hadn't honestly decided yet. Around 8:20 my legs were soaked and the cold started making me wonder if I had picked a bad stand for opening morning. A few minutes later I saw a deer walking my way off of the trail I thought they would use. It was a small spike, then another spike, and then another spike walking in line. As I was eyeing them up another slightly bigger one came up behind them.

None of then seemed to have a care in the world as they kept walking closer to me. At this point I decided to fill the freezer. The spike in front was probably 10 yards from me, the "big" 3x3 was maybe 30 yards. I had my 300 win mag on shooting sticks already, and took him as he was looking at me perfectly broadside. He dropped instantly and as mule deer always seem to show me something new every year, the 3 spikes which were within slingshot distance just stood there and looked at me, and their buddy that was laying dead. I sat there for a few minutes before standing up, the 3 spike then casually walked off, never jumped or trotted or anything.

Saw 2 more bucks, a little forky and small 4x4 as I was gutting my deer, they also were within 30 yards and just watched me casually as they walked by.

I had my deer back home, processed, packaged and in the freezer by 2pm on opening morning. Productive opening morning but slightly sad it was such a quick ending to my deer season.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 314
Congrats! It's not all about huge antlers. At least that's what I keep telling myself :)

Nothing beats a freshly stocked freezer...

Well done! Scent control might not be crucial on every hunt. I have had deer wind me at hundreds of yards and other times had them walk within a few feet of me. I try to keep my clothes scent neutral as wash and store but do bot do much else for scent control. Most of my hunts have swirling winds at some point each day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back