Caribou Gear Tarp

Clothes and rain gear suggestions for first western hunt

andyrowland

As the title implies, I am planning my first western hunt. I've come to realize that almost all of the clothes I currently own are cotton.

I have some decent poly base layers and was planning on picking up some more military surplus polartec base layers. I was also thinking about getting military surplus fleece (polyester) as well. I'm trying to keep the costs down as best as I can, but I don't mind spending money on quality stuff (especially if I can use it while whitetail hunting at home).

I keep going back and forth about rain gear between cheap stuff (<$50) or pretty decent stuff (~$200). Also, I really like those merino kanab pants from First Lite, but putting my credit card info into a website for a $180 pair of pants would be like passing a kidney stone. Does anyone make a merino pant that is comparable? What about decent shell/rain gear?

I'd be interested to read what you guys use and like. Just as important, I would like to hear what you used and didn't like. Thanks!

I have had very good service with the MicroTex clothing from Cabelas. It's not very "high tech" but it works and holds up well and is quite affordable. I always pack rain gear, but most trips I don't even use it. I have a set of full zip pants from Red Ledge and a ONE (IIRC) jacket from REI. I think the whole set cost about $100. Not the quietest, but it does keep me dry when I need it. For insulating layers I have a set of R.5 fleece tops and bottoms from Patagonia that work very well. I got them on through their outlet/bargain store. Base layers are a mish-mash of stuff from Patagonia and REI that I picked up on sale. This stuff is far from cutting edge, but works well enough for me.

Be sure to check out the hiking/climbing stores for sales. I just picked up a pair of pants for $50 from REI that are stretchable nylon fishing type pants (Ex Officio). They would work more than well for a western hunt.

Ditto the Micro-tex. Good & affordable. Would like some Sitka.
Rain gear is Cabellas Rain Suede. Quiet,light,works well & affordable.
Capalene & Merino base layers.
Mid layers are fleece & wool.
Down,Berber fleece & a Gander Mtn. Waterfowl Parka if it's real bad...
Use what works & find deals online or sales. Doesn't have to be camo,just neutral colors .
Comfort,Quality,durability & wicking away moisture is most important to me.

Last edited:
Merino base layers for sure. If you keyword search sites like Sierra Trading Post and Backcountry.com, you can usually find really good deals. I do love my Kanabs and think they are definitely worth it. I got mine on sale just before their own camo pattern was coming out. Icebreaker makes a merino pant, Ive seen it around for 100-120 before. Never tried it or seen it in person though. If you are backpack hunting, good merino base layer, a light fleece or merino sweater, a good packable puffy, and quality outer shell. I ended up getting the Koldo set from Kryptek, mainly because I got an awesome deal on it. In Colorado anyways, I find that my "rain gear" is used mainly for blocking the wind while glassing, and also as an extra and final outer insulating layer

Love me some First Lite stuff, but I'm not opposed to mixing and matching. Your question is really two-fold (rain gear and warmth gear). Can't speak to rain gear, as I need a dedicated, quality set myself, but I am a fan of the Merino base layer, fleece warmth layer, and outer shell combo.

You can find great deals on Camofire for First Lite, Sitka and especially Core 4 Element stuff. The C4E merino base layers always seem to be on sale there. It tends to run quite on the small side though; at least my quarter zip base layer was.

Fleece anything works great for me as a warmth layer.

One thing that is indispensable and worth every penny is the First Lite Uncompagre jacket. It's beyond amazing and versatile. By far my favorite piece of gear. Hands down.

Also look for deals on used stuff on hunting forums like Rokslide and Archery Talk.

Emrah

Also you can be on the lookout for new Kanabs on eBay or Rokslide if you really want a pair. They routinely go for about $100. I pretty much run all First Lite, the Uncompahgre and their Corrugates and Kanabs are my favorites. Kuiu and Sitka are also very good but I think on average First Lite tends to be cheaper. (Relatively speaking) My wife still makes fun of me around her friends that my pants are $180 new.

The Kanab/Kanab 2.0 are great pants, so long as you aren't crossing a ton of barbed wire fences. I bought a brand new pair on the way to a hunt last year and they were full of tears and holes by the end of the three day trip. I ended up patching them all with Tenacious Tape and they seem to be almost good as new, but they are definitely getting relegated to hunts where there's not a ton of sharp stuff to snag them on. The Corrugates are much more tear resistant and aside from being noisier, a better all around pant in my opinion. I tried the cheap gear route at first with Cabelas Microtex pants, cheap insulated pants, jackets, etc. but in the end I wound up replacing it all with $1k worth of Sitka and First Lite.

For inexpensive but well made rain gear, the Marmot Precip jacket and pants are really, really great for the money and are frequently on sale for ~$50/ea on Sierra Trading, REI, Amazon, etc. They don't have any camo options, but there are green, black, and slate gray options. I'd have a hard time recommending anything cheaper, and there's not much better until you're spending Sitka/First Lite/Kuiu money on rain gear.

Not sure where in the West you are going or when, but I do not own any rain gear and never have had the reason to buy some (in Montana). Outerwear that is water resistant or doesn't soak rain up like a sponge handles 99% of what I hunt in. Its a rare occasion when it rains that much in the fall. More often its snow and that doesn't seem to soak in. Spend more on good warm gear and less on rain gear.

How does the Marmot Precip stack up against The Stormtight or Chugach?

I haven't compared them side by side but I would guess that the Stormtight and Chugach are a bit more durable than the Precip as they are a few ounces heavier, and available in Fusion, Vias, etc. The Chughach is 4 way stretch and the Stormtight is also stretchable in some direction whereas the Precip isn't.

I recently dropped by the Kuiu store in Dixon, CA, and tried on all their rain jackets. I was amazed how noisy they were. If you're rifle hunting, it's probably not an issue. Archery hunting is another story. I left empty-handed. I wish there was a brushed face on the jackets.

Ditto. I am amazed at how noisy some rain gear is.
My waterfowl parka is quieter than most,and I don't need boatgear outside of the coast or BC.

I'll be following this closely, Im in need of some quality but reasonably priced rain gear. Quiet rain gear....

I would focus your investment on garments that are not heavy duty rain gear, if you are archery hunting. You will struggle to find any product that is Alaska-style rainproof, while being quiet. Just a function of the physics it takes to keep downpour rain from getting through. The soft shell DWR garments are not going to cut it. Super repellent rain gear is going to be noisy.

Additionally, I always end up in an ethical struggle about archery hunting in weather that demands that level of weather protection. I ask myself, "If it is raining so hard that I need this level of rain protection, should I be hunting with a device that requires me to follow a blood trail for recovery?" Each person will answer that differently. For me, I carry a light weight set that I can put on if I get caught in an afternoon downpour, but I don't use heavy duty rain gear while archery hunting.

If I am rifle hunting, I seldom need heavy duty rain gear on an elk hunt. Most often, it is snow, not rain. Most of my cold weather gear has a good DWR that can get me through most rain I would be willing to hunt in.

From the sounds of it, your budget might be better invested in a good set of quiet outer layers with a good DWR conditioning and upgrade your base layers to a Merino product. Elk hunting is very active and the terrain is demanding; you will be sweating if you are going after public land elk. Synthetics are going to stink bad after a day or two, making Merino products a much better base layer option.

I'll be following this closely, Im in need of some quality but reasonably priced rain gear. Quiet rain gear....

Tom Ritchey had saying with bike parts: Light, Strong, Cheap; Pick 2. It pretty much applies in this situation, you won't get everything you want and cheap. Rain gear is very situation and very expensive by days of use and varies whether you are worried about a 20 minute rain storm in Colorado at 4 pm or hunting AK cost and brand aside.

I hunted in several days of rain this past year wearing the original KUIU chugach rain pants and a Mountain Hardware Quasar Lite jacket. In all cases the rain was much louder than the garments.

Minus 33 merino base layer. Quality and relatively affordable. Made in New Hampshire. Cabela's Microtex is quiet, durable and drys fast. Big Fin hit it on the head with rain gear. You can have quiet or waterproof. I have two sets. One for the monsoon downpours in mid afternoon to keep me dry that is lightweight, packable and waterproof that I keep in my backpack if I think I may need it (First Lite). The other is Cabela's Rain Suede. Not light, absorbs water in a downpour, still packable and extremely quiet. As said before, you rain gear makes an excellent windproof top layer after you've hiked to the top of the mountain and want to stay warm while glassing.

Minus 33 merino base layer. Quality and relatively affordable. Made in New Hampshire. Cabela's Microtex is quiet, durable and drys fast. Big Fin hit it on the head with rain gear. You can have quiet or waterproof. I have two sets. One for the monsoon downpours in mid afternoon to keep me dry that is lightweight, packable and waterproof that I keep in my backpack if I think I may need it (First Lite). The other is Cabela's Rain Suede. Not light, absorbs water in a downpour, still packable and extremely quiet. As said before, you rain gear makes an excellent windproof top layer after you've hiked to the top of the mountain and want to stay warm while glassing.

Which FL are you referring too? Stormtight?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back