Yeti GOBOX Collection

Clear pictures of wildlife?

DFS

Whenever I take pictures through my spotting scope, they usually end up looking like this.
IMG_2804.jpeg
Is this a limitation of the cell phone camera?

What is the best system of getting clear photos of wildlife?

What mount are you using? You're probably shaking the phone/tripod when taking the pic.
I’ve tried phone scope I’ve also just tried holding it up to the spotter. Seems like I get similar results. Vortex tripod. Swarovski scope.

I’ve had noticeably different results depending on scope (Vortex Razor vs. Swaro) and phone.

Air temp makes a big difference too. If it’s warm (60s up) I’ll get ‘heat waves’ showing up. It can also be so bright that the critter gets washed out. A remote shutter also makes a positive difference.

Reactions: DFS
Lots of variables, including the quality of scope, how square the phone camera is to the eyepiece, relief between the camera and eyepiece lens, whether you use the scope zoom or the phone zoom, heat shimmer, etc.

This video was taken at maybe 600 yards.

This one was 1.5 miles.

This photo was about 2.5 miles.
Rams2.jpg

Lots of variables, including the quality of scope, how square the phone camera is to the eyepiece, relief between the camera and eyepiece lens, whether you use the scope zoom or the phone zoom, heat shimmer, etc.

This video was taken at maybe 600 yards.

This one was 1.5 miles.

This photo was about 2.5 miles.
View attachment 319683
So what adapter are you using? I had a good buck (Montana standards) at 450 yards for 1/2 hour this year and couldn’t get one clear photo of him. Which is better using the scope zoom or the phone zoom?

So what adapter are you using? I had a good buck (Montana standards) at 450 yards for 1/2 hour this year and couldn’t get one clear photo of him. Which is better using the scope zoom or the phone zoom?
Try using the timer setting so the tripod stops shaking before the photo is taken.

You may be getting light into the front of your spotter, if it has a sun shield use it.

Lastly what vortex spotter do you have?

Try using the timer setting so the tripod stops shaking before the photo is taken.

You may be getting light into the front of your spotter, if it has a sun shield use it.

Lastly what vortex spotter do you have?
Vortex tripod Swarovski spotter

Vortex tripod Swarovski spotter
I would say to try the timer then and watch your light pollution. If something is getting washed out there is too much light coming in. You can tap different areas on the screen of your phone to change the focus and white balance or there is light getting into the lense of your camera between the scope and phone that would do it too. Try to set up somewhere the sun isn’t directly going into the objective lense of the scope.

I use a phone skope, but if Ollin made an adapter for my scope I would buy one in a heartbeat. I usually use a combination of zooms, depending on how far the distance. If it’s a really long way I will almost max the zoom on my scope, and then finish with the phone. The phone zoom is good for getting rid of any ring you have around the edge of your photo at any range. Phone zoom is a little trickier now if you have a phone with multiple camera lenses.

I think that a remote shutter release is easier to use than the timer. You can pick one up for $10 or less on Amazon, and you can just snap away.

I’ve also been finding that my iPhones (12 pro and then a 13) do better digiscoping when taking video vs. a photograph. Picture is larger (zoomed without loss of quality) and seems clearer.

These goats were 1.85 miles with Vortex spotter and phone scope. You can see them and tell they’re goats but that’s about it. Wind was ripping, too.
IMG_0576.jpeg

These were a bit closer, same setup. Maybe 500y or so.IMG_0587.jpeg

This bull was a ways (0.6 mile minimum but can’t remember) with Swarovski spotter and magviewIMG_2698.jpeg

This goat was with Swaro spotter and magview; about 400yards.
IMG_1431.jpeg

I feel like you definitely get improvement with good glass and a remote trigger, but conditions (light, wind, heat) play into it.

I know they make spotting scope adapters for DSLRs. I’d love to get my hands on one of those.

I get decent photos holding my phone up to my spotter or binos, always thought a phone scope attachment would make them better but you’ve got me second guessing that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back