Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cindy from Indiana

othercindy

Hey everyone!

I joined a while back but haven't been active until now. I am a 43 year old woman who started hunting at 36 years of age. My boyfriend gave me minimal guidance, and more or less chucked me into the woods to figure it out. It was the best thing he could have done for me. Seven years later, it has changed my life in ways I never imagined. I hunt whitetail here in Indiana, along with turkey, squirrel, dove and pheasant, and I fish. I also hunt Mule Deer in Wyoming and Montana, and hope to be adding Pronghorn and elk to that list. Which brings me to why I am here.

My boyfriend (yes, same boyfriend, Chance) and I are now actively planning our first attempt at drawing a deer/elk combination tag for Montana. All we know about elk hunting we have learned from watching Randy on YouTube and Amazon or from the podcast. I have a handful of friends around the Bozeman area, and slightly west of there, that have offered to show us the ropes, but I am hoping to learn as much as I can here in this forum, before we even get out west to try to find an elk. To be honest, I'm not looking for a monster, I'd be thrilled with a nice cow, but I want to be educated about what I am doing either way.

I look forward to learning and meeting new folks along the way. Thanks for your time.
Cindy

Welcome. There is a literally a library full of info on trying to kill elk in MT on this forum, you guys could spend weeks trying to read it all. Unfortunately it seems there's no single recipe to get it done. But if you stick around long enough I'm sure you'll pick up some tips.

I'd say something nice about Indiana... but I've been there ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist, my wife is from Indiana, and our house is full of Indiana jokes.

another Hoosier in the H-O-U-S-E........! welcome, I grew up in the NE corner of IN, and love it there, still have family there and visit often.

If a cow would make you just as happy as a bull, I'd say read and read and read the MT regs and find either sex units that has good elk #'s, pick 3 or 4 spots w/maybe some of them in different mountain ranges, and if you have time over the summer go out and put some tire tracks down and boots on the ground, it makes a big difference once you've seen the area before hunting season opens.

good luck

Welcome! I'm also trying to get a plan together for MT next fall, all the info can be a bit overwhelming at times, best of luck on your adventures.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back