Choose My Ammo

Brachii

Hunting mule deer and antelope this fall. Trying to choose a bullet to start zeroing with my Remington 700 30-06. My comfort shooting range is no more than 250-300 yards. Is there a bullet weight I can use for both animals or would anything that can get a deer be too much for an antelope and vice verse too small for a deer if it's perfect for antelope. Thanks!

I use 165 grain accubonds in my new 30-06. It's not overkill for antelope, and it would be big enough for elk in the future if you decide to hunt them. Federal Fusions are also a good choice and are an awesome price (if I remember right the last box I bought was $22). I've killed lots of animals with the Fusions in different calibers with no complaints.

Last edited:
any mid-100gr bullet will be more than enough for antelope and plenty for deer out of a 30-06. If you want a lighter load, go with 130gr or so. If you would like a heavier load, go with 150-165. The critters won't know the difference.

The 06 really performs well with the 165gr. bullets.
I think it is the best all around weight bullet.

The 06 really performs well with the 165gr. bullets.
I think it is the best all around weight bullet.

This! A 165 gr. Accubond or Partition would serve you very well on the antelope and deer, and on elk down the road if you get to hunt them. Either of those bullets in that weight is all I have EVER shot out of my 30-06.

I would say 165 grain barnes vortx. I would also say try a few out and see what shoots well. I don't think I've seen a barnes load shoot inaccurately, however.

I use 168 gr Barnes vor-tx in my Rem 700 30-06 and am more than happy with the accuracy and consistency. I'm more of a limiting factor than the ammunition.

Here is another thought. I have harvested more deer than I can count with a 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from T/C Encore.308 handgun. Every deer died quickly but one. It was a 285 yd shot on a doe that was slightly quartering toward me and the bullet caught the top of her shoulder and then proceeded to travel like a buzz saw down her spine and into her femor blowing it apart. She died because her femoral artery got destroyed. I recovered the jacket and that was all that was left of the bullet. Another time I shot a mature buck with it at 20 yds and the exit hole looked like a football came out. My point is use a reputable bonded or total copper bullet and if you choose one that isn't make sure you use good shot placement and make darn sure of what the bullet will do at all ranges.

I shoot the 165gr Accubond in the Nosler Trophy Grade factory load in my 30-06. It's killed everything I have shot at with them including antelope and a stack of whitetails from ranges of 35yds to 350yds. No complaints whatsoever and they are super accurate in my rifle.

Heard lots of good but not shot Accubonds.
Shot about 10 whitetails in my 06' A-Bolt with 150 Partitions several of them twice and they seemed to be very hard bullets.
Shoulder shots would knock them down, double lungs or heart shots needed some trailing or follow up shots.
Your results may vary.

10Dogs

Had good luck with Accubonds, Partitions, and TTSX. Find which one groups the best. Guarantee the deer or antelope won't know the difference in either bullet if placed correctly.

My 700 30-06 likes 150Gr Sierra Game Kings (Federal Premium) and it also likes 165 Nosler Accubonds. Shot several deer with the Game Kings and had good luck with them from 100 yards out to a little over 300 yards

I shoot 180 gr partition handloads in my Rem 700 SPS-Stainless .30-06. I hunt pronghorn, mule deer, elk, and moose all with this rifle and load combo, which is why I opted for the 180 gr variety.

I have had great results with core-lokt, fusion, ttsx, accubond, partition, and plain-jane federal soft-points. If I had to choose a do-all bullet, it would be a partition.

Point is: shoot whatever you and your rifle like. Any sensible load will work just fine (provided you have good shot placement).

Unless you are after elk or moose the partitions are a little more concrete of a bullet in a 30-06.
Accubond in 165gr. Is gonna still penetrate good on large game like elk and expand enough in deer size game to transfer energy needed to make quicker kills and shorter blood trails.

One good rifle paired with one good bullet is one good combo.

Frankly a 250-300 yard shot with a 30-06 is doable with just about any hunting load.

That said, any the 165 grain loads recommended by the others will serve you well. Personally I'm partial to Nosler Accubonds or Ballistic Tips.

Plan your ammo for the largest game you would shoot. Anything that will work for an Elk with work for an Antelope. I have taken several antelope, deer and elk with Nosler Accubonds. That would be my pick. I would go with a 165gr or heavier personally. Out west, especially in areas with lots of antelope wind can be a significant factor, and the heavier the bullet the less wind drift you will see at hunting ranges. A bit less wind drift is a better option in my mind than a bit more drop.

Just bought 2 boxes of the 165 grain Trophy grade accubond-- seemed to be everyone's favorite on here. Thanks guys!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back