Cheap states to build points

JWhunter

I am just wondering what states allow for nonresidents to build points for the least amount of money. I am just curious seeing s I am a college student I'd like to start building some points in other state. I live in Idaho. I was wondering if you could give me the three cheapest states to build points in or a link to where I can find that information. I appreciate it.

John

When I looked into this last year for antelope (and a little bit on elk) I considered several factors in addition to price, including accessibility, animal numbers. I ended up buying in WY, MT and CO ,with WY being the easy "winner" for 'lope and elk having pros/cons between the 3. Plenty of white tails close to home so didn't really look at muleys.

They are getting fewer and fewer. Another thing to considere is how much those points are going to get you.

Getting a point in Arizona might be more expensive than getting a point in Washington, but you are going to more than likely be able to eventually use those points on a quality tag at some point down the road.

Utah points are pretty cheap to build and they have high quality hunts but it is going to take a STACK of points to draw much of anything.

Colorado points are pretty cheap, but there is a huge gap between 80% of the units that need zero or maybe one or two points and the top units that need 20+ points. Not a lot in between.

Also, some states like Arizona are not going to be too expensive if you are building points for every species, but if you only want to build points for one species they are much more expensive. Others like Wyoming let you pick and choose which ones you want to buy points for (except Sheep, they make you buy that point).

Long story short, it isn't about which state has the cheapest points.

Decide what you think you would want to hunt and where you want to hunt it and start applying.

My 2 cents. Nathan

Wyoming isn't a terrible value, as you can draw decent tags with just a few points, hunt general regions for deer, etc. South Dakota points are cheap for whitetails in the black hills, or west river. Colorado also, now that they don't require the money up front.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back