Caribou hunt 40 mile air

millerpaul17

Hey guys i was Wondering if any of you have gone caribou hunting withh 40 Mile air in Alaska. Me and a few buddies are going in 2019 on our very first caribou hunt and we are going to try and go with 40 mile air. Anyone gone with these guys? How are they? Is there any other air fare you guys know of that would be good? Another question if someone has hunted the 40 mile herd, how is the terrain? Is it fairly doable with archery equipment or do you guys think it’d be better to bring a rifle? Thanks!

I believe it's going to start for the 2018 season and some units are requiring a guide for moose also.

I found the article house bill 211 will require guides for certain area on the North Slope for caribou. So it's not state wide.

From what I can find, it looks like the bill was passed by the House and died in the Senate after not being taken up by year end. So no, there is no law currently in effect for the 2018 season, also supported by the fact that there is no mention of a guide requirement on the Alaska Game and Fish website or the regulations.

It does sound like most folks expect this bill to be resurrected in the 2018 legislature, so the OP will probably want to stay tuned...

http://alaskaoutdoordigest.com/hunting/caribou-guide-debate-includes-who-sets-game-rules/

OP, I’ll be using 40 Mile as a transport in September. I’ll PM you afterwards and let you know how it went. So far they’ve been very pleasant to work with.

I found the article house bill 211 will require guides for certain area on the North Slope for caribou. So it's not state wide.

It passed the House, carried by democrats on a 16-1 vote, but was never brought up in the senate.

I've been in portions of the 40-mile herds range, and I would have a riffle in camp for sure. Archery hunting caribou is a blast, but definitely not the easiest thing to do. Lots of stalks have ended in that 80-90 yard range.

That area is hilly, with some trees but most of the tops of ridges are alpine tundra areas. Just depends on where you find them as to if there will be stalkable with archery equipment.

If you would be disappointed to come home empty handed, then take a rifle. If you are satisfied with the experience and happy to just have the chance to chase them around, then bring the bow. Personally, I would have rifle in camp but would also take the bow. If you are in the right spot you can archery hunt the first half of the trip, and then grab the rifle for the last few days to fill a tag.

Thanks! Good news is, is one of the guys going with us is going to bring his rifle while the rest of us are bring archery equipment. Very excited to go. I have heard from many people that caribou aren't very smart and bow hunting them would be easy but I don't really buy it. I wanted to hear from someone who has done it a time or two. Thanks for the help I really appreciate your input.

I've been in portions of the 40-mile herds range, and I would have a riffle in camp for sure. Archery hunting caribou is a blast, but definitely not the easiest thing to do. Lots of stalks have ended in that 80-90 yard range.

That area is hilly, with some trees but most of the tops of ridges are alpine tundra areas. Just depends on where you find them as to if there will be stalkable with archery equipment.

If you would be disappointed to come home empty handed, then take a rifle. If you are satisfied with the experience and happy to just have the chance to chase them around, then bring the bow. Personally, I would have rifle in camp but would also take the bow. If you are in the right spot you can archery hunt the first half of the trip, and then grab the rifle for the last few days to fill a tag.

Thanks I appreciate the help and input. I am glad at least one person told me what it may be like up there!

Check the regs before you go, may not need to buy a wolf tag depending on which Unit you're hunting in.

Other reasons to bring a rifle - lots of grizzlies in 40 Mile country. We ran this guy off the ridge where we were camped this year, it was interesting for a few seconds when instead of initially leaving, he closed the distance to identify us. On the flight into camp, we saw a large grizzly carrying the carcass of a 3-4 year old grizzly that it had killed...

6Gtvfy.jpg

Another pic from our 2017 hunt, this terrain is pretty typical of 40 Mile country...

KlB4jC.jpg

Another pic from our 2017 hunt, this terrain is pretty typical of 40 Mile country...

KlB4jC.jpg

Thanks that's some awesome looking country!! I will definitely have a side arm with me. Growing up in Wyoming just about all the areas I hunt elk sheep and goats have bears. I hate them buggers. Theyre cool from a distance! A far as wolves go my buddy said in some areas non residents don't need wolf tags? ill have to look into it more I haven't really looked at any other species. Thanks That country looks amazing!

I flew with 40 mile air last year 2017 on a caribou hunt. I don't know how to post a link to it, but go down to hunting other areas, go to Alaska and you will see my write up.
Great company to fly with.

I flew with 40 Mile Air on a sheep hunt. They are professional and organized. You fly with enough air taxis in AK and you'll eventually experience the other end of that spectrum. One thing to keep in mind, they're one of the bigger operations going in the fall. I flew at a time when they were also picking up / dropping off caribou and moose hunters in a couple different GMUs. They handle chaos well, just keep in mind they are busy.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back