Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Canadian Rockies help

timberman56

wife and I planning a week long trip for fall of this yr, fly into Calgary, rent a car and drive to Banff and up to Jasper, stay in the mountains a few days, wouldn't mind catching a few fish but plan to stay on paved roads. would like to go sometime in Sept-Oct but don't want to go to late as to worry about getting snowed / iced in. plan to do a few 1-2 hr hikes, maybe rent a canoe and paddle a lake, etc. any advise for best timeframe and places to go/things to see from HTers appreciated

Amazing time of year to see the parks. The Icefields parkway that time of year is stunning.

For fishing, I'd concentrate on finding something outside of the parks (Canmore/Calgary) on the Bow river or a smaller creek depending on what you'd like to try. There is some fishing in the park but I think you can enjoy a bit more diversity outside the parks. Dont be afraid to check out K Country as well (not in the parks but pretty amazing area)

Could also do a loop from Banff up to Jasper and then down around through Hinton and return outside the park and see a real good mix of cool country along the eastern slopes.

Lived in Calgary for a number of years and now live in the Kootenays of BC. Shoot me a message if you want any specifics.

I spend lots of time hiking around Canmore/Banff area. Banff, the town, is over rated, check out Canmore (30 min outside of Banff and cheaper), Kannaskis, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and Yoho Nat'l Park. Personally, for a few days I would concentrate on either Banff or Jasper, a longer trip would be worth checking both out.

Sept/Oct will be fine and perfect hiking weather unless you get big snow dumps, peeks might just be colder than usual so remember to bring something to dress for the breaks, not just the hike. What kind of hikes are you looking to do?

We spent honeymoon night soak in redwood hot tub on roof of Deer Lodge Inn at Lake Louise in the 1980's then revisited a couple years ago. Lake Louise is well worth the visit. Rent a canoe and paddle under the Canadian Rockies. The mountains, lakes, streams and valleys throughout the region are spectacular.
Banff of 1980's was a quaint, wonderful town to wander through, but a nightmare on our recent visit. We thought we were driving in downtown Chicago, trying to maneuver through the traffic with the pickup camper. It was a busy late September trip with hoards of tourists. Refueling required waiting in line a block away from the station and carefully maneuvering through the tight spaces to reach the pump. We loved the trip to and from, but have committed to never return to Banff!

I spend lots of time hiking around Canmore/Banff area. Banff, the town, is over rated, check out Canmore (30 min outside of Banff and cheaper), Kannaskis, Peter Lougheed Provincial Park and Yoho Nat'l Park. Personally, for a few days I would concentrate on either Banff or Jasper, a longer trip would be worth checking both out.

Sept/Oct will be fine and perfect hiking weather unless you get big snow dumps, peeks might just be colder than usual so remember to bring something to dress for the breaks, not just the hike. What kind of hikes are you looking to do?
thanks for the reply

thanks for the reply
Lived in Calgary for 23 years. Be prepared for nasty weather in September/October.

Ideally, summer will be your best time for hikes and fishing if you can swing it.

You’ll love the experience! Have fun.

just some short hikes, nothing technical, we're both in good shape for 60's ; have done 6-7 mi hikes in Glacier, Rocky Mtn, Yosemite, Acadia Nat'l parks. some water (lake or creek) especially a waterfall would add to the hike
Edith Cavell and Wilcox Pass are both fairly quick hikes that bring you to an impressive view shed in Jasper. But there's no shortage of views. Yoho National Park is a great visit, too, as are many of the Provincial parks, like Mount Robson.
Enjoy the trip!

I bowhunted goats and bears not far from there. It’s amazing country. I can’t offer much advice or logistical information but I will offer encouragement. Make the trip happen you won’t regret it.

I only got to fish there a little while, but the Elk River right across from Port Roseville is some good trout fishing. It truly is Gods Country up there. Thankful the border is open again

The Delta Lodge at Kananaskis was super nice in 2015 and its been redone by now. Its a bit fancy, but is a good place to spend a couple nights. Everywhere I went in K-Country and Peter Lougheed was incredible (except the July 29 blizzard)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back