Can we learn to live with wolves again?

There’s 6 days left of the MT season & I’m busy. I’ll say it again and come back in a week to elaborate - you’re a clueless & ignorant douche.

Stop logging into a hunting web forum and spewing your thoughts on things you’ve only read about from Iowa. Do you think everybody who doesn’t embrace your from afar wolf/elk harmony ideas is in the Toby bridges fan club?

Never to busy to throw out another insult however.

What you know about me is pretty minimal to be sure.

Maybe a lifetime of hunting the backcounty of the mountains to the north of Yellowstone.

I'm not sure where the OP comes up with the idea that we use to know how to live with wolves. My great grandfather could remember when there was the original population of wolves in Eastern MT. Back then the goal was extermination by any means possible.

Years ago in Wyoming in the waning days of wolves, if a wolf was spotted on a ranch all work stopped and everyone went out to kill it. I was told that by an old rancher (now deceased) that wolves were hated and exterminated by any means necessary. Our ancestors had it right IMO.

Brent, name a specific place in Wyoming or Montana where wolves are abundant that you think elk hunting is in your words ‘excellent’.
There are exactly zero ‘excellent’ elk areas anywhere there are ample, long established wolf numbers. Zero. Sure you can get an elk, but it’s a far cry from ‘excellent’ It is, however, improving from being horrible.

I am not Brent but the Washakie Wilderness in Wyoming would classify as excellent or any area east of Yellowstone around Park county.

Years ago in Wyoming in the waning days of wolves, if a wolf was spotted on a ranch all work stopped and everyone went out to kill it. I was told that by an old rancher (now deceased) that wolves were hated and exterminated by any means necessary. Our ancestors had it right IMO.

Did they also have it right killing off bighorn sheep, bison, elk, deer, pronghorn, etc., etc.?

Well we got wolf,in NM now. Gray wolf they say.
I have seen them & damage they do to livestock & critters.
Not a real fan of introduction of half breeds,but there ya go,they're here in NM & in AZ.
They say they will limit numbers & control. Sure.You Bet.
They have been spotted a hundred miles outside of "Range", on the way to CO it appears someday.
If all that stands between them in NM & heading to CO is NMG&F & USF&W................good luck.
I have seen that AZ is saying they will stand firm on numbers & them heading north of I-40.Heard of a few near Flag & Holbrook dealt with.
Been reading about them in OR & around Lassen in HCN the last few years,usually to cheers.

Me,I'll defend myself & mine. I'm a hugger type here too....lol

I am not Brent but the Washakie Wilderness in Wyoming would classify as excellent or any area east of Yellowstone around Park county.

By Wyoming G&F 2018 released statistics, where the packs have been identified, the Washakie wolf count consists of the smallest identified packs, two... As of now.

<Edit>
I don't like clicking on links that go directly to a download, especially from a public forum where extremes reside.
To avoid this, try typing in Google search or other search engines: "Wyoming 2018 annual wolf report". Then you're able to see it's a .gov link yourself. Cheers. Not opposing your content, sharing this to place a bit of statistics when considering the current impact.

This link goes directly to the WGFD.GOV .PDF.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw16ySTdXg3G9PA5v_6GObKo

Last edited:
By Wyoming G&F 2018 released statistics, where the packs have been identified, the Washakie wolf count consists of the smallest identified packs, two... As of now.

<Edit>
I don't like clicking on links that go directly to a download, especially from a public forum where extremes reside.
To avoid this, try typing in Google search or other search engines: "Wyoming 2018 annual wolf report". Then you're able to see it's a .gov link yourself. Cheers. Not opposing your content, sharing this to place a bit of statistics when considering the current impact.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAFegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw16ySTdXg3G9PA5v_6GObKo

Pick your region...elk are at or over objective about statewide. This year 1030 additional tags issued. Wyoming has about the highest elk success rate in the country.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunting-Guide/Elk-Hunting

The wolves need to step up their game.

<Edit>

Park county Wyoming with units 1,2,3, and 4 has the highest wolf kill quota in the entire state. Probably means they have a lot of wolves too.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/WOLF_SUMMARY.pdf

Last edited:
Back to the original topic. If Colorado decides to reintroduce wolves into their state, their game department better come up with some new ideas on how to fund themselves.

Pick your region...elk are at or over objective about statewide. This year 1030 additional tags issued. Wyoming has about the highest elk success rate in the country.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunting-Guide/Elk-Hunting

The wolves need to step up their game.

Maybe, instead of wolves, how about humans? Lot of hunger, low income in WY, MT, etc. How about effective elk quotas if there is such excess? I'd rather see Americans fed than wolves.

Back to the original topic. If Colorado decides to reintroduce wolves into their state, their game department better come up with some new ideas on how to fund themselves.

Polis will convince the Colofornians to purchase tags to photograph wolves or take selfies with them. Huge new revenue stream.

State Game agency funding is in far more danger from elected officials than from any critter.

Edited - added correct quote for response. Oops. :)

I think they need to focus on what will best assist to effectively manage the impending wolf population. From one simple Montanan, Colorado should maximize the use of trapper/hunter... and "other" means.

Last edited:
Edited - added correct quote for response. Oops. :)

I think they need to focus on what will best assist to effectively manage the impending wolf population. From one simple Montanan, Colorado should maximize the use of trapper/hunter... and "other" means.

Trapping is illegal in CO... got to love ballot box biology.

I for one would love to see Grizzlies in RMNP, as well as the Sangres and San Juan's.

Trapping is illegal in CO... got to love ballot box biology.

Eh, no trapping? Best to ya, Colorado...

2017 MT had 88 harvested by trapping, 166 taken by hunters and we are far from effective in our population management. That is of the 17,212 wolf tags sold.

Back