Can I buy bison?

the nikster

With my new diet ( wife's idea) I am looking at other meat options. Research seems to point to bison being a healthy option. And perhaps affordable too. I live in Idaho Falls. Is there a 'local' option to purchase a 3 or 4 year-old meat bull. I prefer to not pretend to hunt it. Although I'll do what I need if you folks know of an option.

Not sure about your area but around here there are a couple of places selling bison. I think they are mainly 2 year old animals for meat buying. I know one thing. They sure do taste good!

Thank goodness we have unlimited doe tags here. About $7 a piece if you figure the postage to mail in the forms.

Siddoway has some, but I'm sure you'll have to pay to "hunt" them. There are or were some in Swan Valley as well, not sure what is going on with that operation.

The grocery store off the interstate at Fort Hall used to carry it. I haven't been there in years though.

Nick, there was a place in utah I googled the other day that would sell halves, minimum at about 6 bucks a pound, processed. I'll see if I can find it again.On edit, seems like it was the lake bonneville bison ranch. I've got no affiliation, I just was looking after I purchased some ribeyes at Freddies Last weekend. I had to read all the way through their text to find that nugget, but might be worth a call at least.

Walt

Last edited:
Check with some local butcher shops as well, they might offer domestic bison quarters, etc.

Have you called Ball Storage? I know they process meat and might be able to give you some leads. There is also a fairly large bison ranch just off of I-15 towards Sage Junction, perhaps they may help you too? Other than that I'm assuming your best bet is indeed Fort Hall.

The P-U ranch outside of Arco used to raise and sell them they might still. There is a place south of Twin Falls as well they used to stock the Rock Creek store so they may be able to help if you need another point of contact.

My guess is that, nutrionally, a grass-fed cow would not differ all that much from a bison. I'd also guess that it would be loads cheaper and easier to find in your locale. FWIW...

I have both hunts and frozen meat ready to go in northwest South Dakota if that would be a option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back