Camera for Africa....

Moosie

Grand poopa
For those that went .. What do you use ? I'm thinking about taking the cannon Rebel EOS 8 MP. For Zoom probably the 75mm-300mm with the 2x multiplier. Will I be disapointed ?

Nope, you will be good, and you may not want the 2x multiplier.

Shoot all your pictures at the highest resolution. Memory cards are cheap, and then you can crop the pictures to the parts you want.

Sounds like a great setup. I think my camera is a 28-280mm, and there were very few times where I wished I had more zoom.

More zoom would definitely have been better. My camcorder does take single pix and it has a mega-zoom on it. There were several times I wished for more to get shots of animals that were out there a ways - a herd of gemsbok, a bunch of baboons, etc. Take extra memory cards. I only took about 250 pictures and should have taken more.

Jose, I have been thinking about getting one of those multipliers. Any reason that you say no to it??

There is no such thing as a free lunch. To get something, you have to give up something. In this case, it is usually light and clarity.

I take lots of pictures with the set-up Moosie is using (no Extender), and I can take quality pictures at soccer games of action 80 yards away, crop the image, and still print quality 8x10's that show faces and expressions.

If he has it, he should take it, and use it sometimes, and not other times, unless he is positive it is matched well with his lens. For most of Africa that I saw, it was not necessary.

That's about what I thought...a loss of clarity. I have used my 75-300 at well over 100 yards and then zoomed and cropped and still had great pictures. I was wondering if those extenders were worth it. Sounds like I should save the money and buy some other type of lens if I have the money.

"Anyone can cut and paste others' ideas, maybe it is time you have ideas on your own..." -Moosie

I'm just happy someone is Quoting me :D :D

I have been messing with the settings on the Camera. the different lens speeds and the Apperature (SP?). My dad has the multiplyer and the same camera as me but the 10 MP one. He also has the 500mm auto lens worth more then the camera by far :) I will take some with and some without. I think that the lens I will have to Manual focus it so the clarity is there. But if the Subject in Topic is that far away that I need that much zoom (600mm) then I probably have time to manually focus it.

thanx for the input guys !!

I had some baboons run across the road 100 yards or more ahead of us - I would have liked to have more zoom to get in on them, and they did not give us much time. Something about shot at a lot, I bet.

Back