Calif. X12

dmserpa

Anyone out there familiar with X12, we have 3 tags,,,, father,son, grandson ,,, to fill and have never hunted there. We have mule packin power to help us get away from roads, but are not familiar with the unit, any help appreciated/!!!!!

dmserpa,
i would try jesseshunting.com. Their forums are filled with CA boys and should be able to give you some help.

Also check in on the monstermuley.com "California" forum. So pretty decent folk over there even if they are from California.

Fin,

Hope you don't mind.

X12 spots

That's a good tag for California. On the east side of hiway 395, take a look at the Sweetwater mountains, specifically the Lobdell Lake and Jackass Flat areas. High country there, sagebrush flats lower down, quakie draws on top. South of there check out the Bodie Hills, Masonic Mtn and Potato peak. These areas hold fewer deer, but give up some large ones every year. West of 395, check the draws off of the Buckeye Creek road out of Bridgeport. More, but generally smaller deer. Don't get too close to the Twin Lakes rec area, no shooting in there. The deer are almost tame at Twin Lakes. People feed them and treat them like pets.

Good Luck!
4pointer

Hunting X12

Thanks guys for the info,,Jessies Hunting Outdoors is a great site , even has a forum for us horse hunters,,Now I have 2 sites to monitor for excellent feedback. HT has been a great place to keep us all informed:):):)

I pretty much grew up in X12. My family has a place in the heart of the Sweetwaters. You've already been given some good general areas. If you are a horse person, take them and get way back in there. The guys that kill big bucks in X12 are the guys that get way back in the roadless areas and glass till their eyeballs hurt.

Another great site with a lot of very experienced CA guys is www.theoutdoorsforum.com.

SDhntr

Thanks for the input, how about the area that borders yosemite, thats about as far as you can get from the roads?????

Don't overlook the Hoover Wilderness either. That's where I always hunted during the archery season and always got on mature bucks. Never anything "Huge", but good solid 160" 4-points. Don't make the mistake i saw many horse hunters make, which was riding on their horse like it was a car and basically "road" hunting a wilderness area. Ya...I don't think they killed bucks.

Good Luck!

That's pretty far in there and there are definitely bucks, just be careful to know exactly where you are. Some former CA bowhunters are about to find out the penalties for crossing that exact same boundary, albeit intentionally.

Back