Cabelas in deep doo-doo

Tom, not that I'm even going to try to follow your logic, what makes you think that the owners of these 60's even hunt? And as far as "shooting out" all the game, I would think that the CC&R's these ranchettes adopt won't allow much in the way of shooting on the properties. I mean 60 acres (rectangular) would only be 660yds across- doubt they'd want too many hunters popping shots from parcel to parcel.

Marv, it's common to see a stand and a feeder on 5 (sometimes less) acre plots down 'heah'.

disclaimer: comments by this poster not meant to be consrtued as sanctioning of same.;)

What else is there to do in Montana besides hunt? A lot of them will be hunter persons, but probably not all.

We have a law here, as long as its 10 acres, you can shoot. Some counties restrict it to bows though. I don't know what it is in Montana, the Big Sky state, eh? Maybe its more there.

What makes people think this is a disaster for wildlife management, doesn't it depend on the management plan, the restrictions?

We need to know what that is. The letter to Cabelas doesn't even say what the problem is, its all unspecified, so, we can think whatever we want.

Tom, are you just fishing here or are you purely ignorant?

Ken I don't doubt that for archery tackle....I've got a stand in on the 15ac piece I own, though it’s yet to be bloodied. I was just trying (though feebly albeit) to understand Tom's statement about the land going to be "shot out" when I doubt it will be hunted much at all. What this does/did is lock out the public from the resource and even if Joe Rancher is perched in a tree on "his 60" it's still TS to the PLHunter who used to enjoy the area….I’m sure they’ll all be bitching about bambi chewing up all their rose bushes before long and be duly pissed when there is poodle hair in the lion scat.

Tom if you allow shooting on 10acres remind me to pack a flak jacket if I ever consider retiring to your neck of the woods....that's just too tight a range for me :eek:

What's the law for shooting in your state MarvB?

There is a ranch like that, it sounds like, in a nearby county here. Its 40,000 acres and the long time family owners are manageing it as they sell off pieces to support their life style. They have a wildlife biologist make harvest recommendations every year based on surveys and previous harvests and they require 50-60 acre landowners to build out of sight, i.e. in the trees, to preserve the look of the ranch. Its managed pretty well and has lots of hunting on it, even if a person has just 50-60 acres.

Don't they say fragmentation of land is the number one problem in the US for wildlife management nowdays?

Somebody bought the whole place, eh, 29,000? Wonder what they'll do with it.

Tom,

They're subdividing it...I've already told you that. My buddy has been over there surveying the subdivision since early February. BTW, you know the buddy I'm talking about...he hunted in Texas with us.

Buzz, did cabelas sub-divide it or the new owner?
you have to get approval from local authorities to sub-divide....isnt that the responsible party?

JB has a point, who approved the subdividing? Its happening all over, I think.

Buzz, your buddy might know the best piece to buy, eh? Some piece with thick cover and water and it'll have all the game, maybe.

JB,

Who cares?

I find it irresponsible and a slap in the the face as a hunter that Cabelas would broker a deal destroying wildlife habitat and taking away hunter opportunity. If cabelas really cared about hunters and wildlife...why would they even be involved? Wildlife management and conservation is not being practiced in the slightest by Cabelas...completely the opposite in fact.

Glad to see you dont have a problem with it. But, as a responsible SPORTSMAN, I do.

Glad to see you dont have a problem with it. But, as a responsible SPORTSMAN, I do.

Dude, take your left hand, reach down and grab the seat of your pant's carefully pinching the tighty whiteys...genty pull to remove wedgie. now doesnt that feel better?

I dont like it anymore than you do.....but the only thing you can do is not buy from them.

Tom-

CALIFORNIA CODES
FISH AND GAME CODE
SECTION3004. It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person
in possession of the premises, or a person having the express
permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to
hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly
weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or
other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection
therewith.

With that being said, on top of this (remember it's California...everything is legislated) you are subject to other binding City and County ordinances that might apply and also any CC&R's (and there are plenty of them in most of the larger subdivisions out here) that you have agreed to honor upon the purchasing of the property.

Plus there is just that good ol' fashioned common sense thing that comes with the right of owning a firearm and not using the neighbors home as a backstop...remember your ballistics tables- those little pills will carry a long ways :cool:

So, do you have a flack jacket in CA too? Only 450 ft clearance, wow, just buildings too, not people, there could be a whole slough of people, just so long as there is not a building. People, that would be assault laws, etc. I guess they're covered. We practice safe common sense shooting down here to when it comes to a firearm also, not just the 10 acre state law.

I don't know how our accident rate compares to other places, but I guess we could figure it out, if we wanted.

I dont like it anymore than you do.....but the only thing you can do is not buy from them.

Exactly............and try to learn from what has happened. Try to work with the State and County governments to restrict this type of thing from happening to other large parcels of land or try to convince RMEF or MWF or somebody to start buying up the land before the developers can get their hands on it.

Curly,

I think you're still missing the big picture. I expect to have to fight developers...I dont expect to have to fight a company that makes it living selling hunting and fishing equipment. You know, a company that has become successful on the backs of SPORTSMEN.

You dont see the hypocracy of a company that caters to hunters and fishermen...destroying wildlife habitat and taking away opportunity for ALL sportsmen?

Unbelievable.

Buzz, isnt it Cabelas intention to sell these properties to sportsman ?
If someone comes along and offers to buy the land at the price you are asking....you have to sell it to them, otherwise they would be breaking the law.

Buzz, I do see the big picture. I agree w/ you about Cabelas. I think it wrong for them to get in the land development business.

I agree totally with WH when he said it would be better for Cabelas' image to have purchased the property and then sold it to a Nature Conservancy organization.

I was looking forward to the new Cabelas store being built within 20 minutes from my house. But now I may not set foot in their store.

I'm still trying to warn you about what will likely happen all over Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, etc. with development. The Weaver Ranch is most likely history and the focus needs to be shifted to other large parcels of land that need protection...........

We practice safe common sense shooting down here to when it comes to a firearm
...looks to be about average?

Rank Firearms Death Rate per 100,000 pop.

United States Avg 10.3

1 District of Columbia 26.9

2 Alaska 19.5

3 Louisiana 18.8

4 New Mexico 17.6

5 Wyoming 17.5

6 Nevada 17.2

7 Alabama 16.9

8 Mississippi 16.8

9 Montana 15.5

10 Arizona 15.3

11 Arkansas 15.1

12 South Carolina 14.2

13 Tennessee 14.1

13 West Virginia 14.1

15 Georgia 13.7

16 Kentucky 13.4

17 Oklahoma 12.8

18 North Carolina 12.4

19 Idaho 12.2

20 Maryland 11.9

21 Missouri 11.4

22 Indiana 11.3

22 Texas 11.3

24 Colorado 11.1

24 Florida 11.1

24 Kansas 11.1

27 Virginia 10.9

28 Oregon 10.7

28 Utah 10.7

30 Michigan 10.2

31 Pennsylvania 9.9

31 South Dakota 9.9

33 California 9.8

34 Washington 9.1

35 Illinois 9.0

36 North Dakota 8.9

37 Wisconsin 8.4

38 Ohio 8.1

39 Delaware 7.9

40 Nebraska 7.6

41 Vermont 7.5

42 Iowa 6.9

43 New Hampshire 6.7

44 Minnesota 6.4

45 Maine 6.0

46 New Jersey 5.4

47 New York 5.3

48 Connecticut 4.4

49 Massachusetts 3.1

49 Rhode Island 3.1

51 Hawaii 2.8

Also Tom the 10 acre state law you mention wouldn't give me any more warm fuzzies than the Cali 150yard law...if you own a rectangular piece that is 450' x 1000' you've basically got 10 acres- and if you shot across it from the narrow side...you're back to the 150yards to begin with. hump

JB,

Lets say for the sake of argument that is their intention...to broker sales of hunting/fishing lands for the wealthy that can afford it.

The result of the sale of the Weaver Ranch sure didnt fall under the definition of their hypothetical intentions. Matter of fact took opportunity from EVERYONE.

It would seem intuitively obvious that a Company thats foundation is based largely on wildlife conservation would excercise better judgement. I wont be supporting a company that pisses on the very foundation of wildlife, wildlife habitat and conservation.

I dont care what their intentions are...its the result of their actions that matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back