Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CA Lope Down...

'Ike'

After 22 years and being 3rd alternate it was a crazy ride! Got to my area on Thursday (2nd) before the opener on Saturday (4th)...Before leaving I had 25 plus water sources mapped out and ready to go, one being the Big 'C' tank in honor of TrkySlr...Chris had drawn the tag in 09 and killed his Lope there...

That one I knew was gone before even getting there as a 'local' had a blind up a month before, I'd find out later...He actually shot my buck opening morning, hitting it quartered away, but the reaction of the buck caused it to stay below the skin and coming out in his neck above the right shoulder...

Long story short the buck survived the non-lethal hit and the guy smoked a good buck the next day and I got to hunt 'C' tank...

I should add that out of the 25+ tanks/water sources mapped out on BLM land two had water!

14 & 14.5" with good mass...BLM lands and DIY

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 702
  • 2012 Lope (2).jpg
    2012 Lope (2).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
Awesome Ike!! Looks like a great 'lope to me. Good thing that "local" didn't kill him instead of you. Don't you have a Tule elk to go whack now? Nice start to the season and good luck closing it out...

Thanks guys, great hunt and a way better animal than I could imagine...Couple more shots of him and country!

Attachments

• download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 638
  • Set-up.jpg
    Set-up.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 632
  • Mine! (2).jpg
    Mine! (2).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 634
That is a great representation of a great Cali buck. I hunted Likely Tables the last year I lived there. What a fun hunt. I don't remember there being any archery seasons then (2002). Is it a recent addition?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back