MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Butler creek flip up's alternative?

devon deer

The flip up's have been very popular in the UK, until recently that is.
I had some for years with no problem at all on my 6 x 42 scope, in fact still have them, must be over 10 years now.
I bought a 8 x 56 scope and fitted some new covers, within a few weeks the objective cover broke, got another, same problem, plastic appears to be brittle, but this was the tip of the iceberg, loads of other guys in the UK have noticed the quality has gone down and are seeking alternatives, maybe they are produced in the far east now?
Any complaints to the company have been ignored, at their expense in the long run.

So have any of you chaps noticed any change in quality?

What do you use, bikini covers, or is there a good flip up out there that doesn't cost the earth?

Cheers

Richard

Unfortunately, your experience is not unique. Butler Creek's quality has taken a significant drop. There is quite a bit of discussion on the optics forums concerning what you have experienced.

Come on Greenhorn...post the picture of the best use of flip ups. Hilarious

Practicality aside, they are the most non aesthetic components this side of 50mm objectives.

i wouldnt mind using them but my Vortex is 4-12x 50 so the space between the scope and the barrel is minimal. I'd have to notch the cap for it to really work.

I've had 2 sets on the same scope and on both of them the hinge on the rear cover broke, so I stopped using them and just went to a bikini cover

Yep, complete junk. I recently sent a cpl sets back to Butler along with a letter stating my disappointment and they did replace them but I won't even waste my time using them. Alumina (Leupold) covers are spendy but they work and I have never had a failure (6-7 sets) in many years of hard use.

What bikini covers you guys using? I'm looking to pick one up before this season.

Not trying to be funny, but if you cover your scope you can't see through it. I've never used any kind of scope cover in the field. Several critters would still be alive today if I had. mtmuley

Not trying to be funny, but if you cover your scope you can't see through it. I've never used any kind of scope cover in the field. Several critters would still be alive today if I had. mtmuley
I understand what you mean, but you can flip up a cover in a millisecond, but if your scope is fogged, wet and covered in snow how can you see the critter then?

I have found these in the UK, very cheap so will give them a go, otherwise i will have to try and find the bikini covers that came with my Schmidt and Bender.

Cheers

Richard

I've never had a problem, even in heavy snow. I just pay attention to the scopes condition. I have however seen covers fail to open and hunters fooling around trying to get them open. They are just a variable I don't want to deal with, although I know some like them. mtmuley

Here in NW MT I'm usually hunting in rain, snow and/or sleet. I've hunted with my Butler Creek flip up for 10 seasons and have had no problems. Wouldn't be without it. Sorry to hear the more recent product isn't as good. Ain't that the way of the world?

I've had one on a 42 mm scope for 12 years and never had a problem. Put one on a 50 mm Nightforce and the thing flew off the second time I opened it. Took it back and got another. It did the same thing. Got a refund and went with a neoprene cover...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back