Bush Plans Help for Native Fish

Nemont

Just thought that since EG et. al. blame the President for everything else he should get the credit for trying to reestablish the westslope cutthroat trout in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.
May 3, 2004

Last modified May 3, 2004 - 10:32 am

Feds to release more extensive study of plan to purge fish from Bob Marshall Wilderness
Associated Press

KALISPELL (AP) - Federal officials have conducted a more extensive study of a proposal to purge nonnative fish from alpine lakes in and around the Bob Marshall Wilderness, and expect to release a draft of the plan in May or June.

The environmental impact statement, which is expected to contain four alternatives, was conducted after criticism surfaced over the government's less extensive environmental assessment two years ago.

The state Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks has suggested poisoning 21 lakes in the Bob Marshall, the Jewel Basin Hiking Area and the Flathead National Forest to rid them of nonnative fish stocked there. The agency fears nonnative fish may trickle down into the native fishery of the South Fork of the Flathead River and breed with westslope cutthroat.

After the poisoning, the agency would stock the lakes with pure westslope cutthroat trout.

The westslope cutthroat stocking project is being funded by the Bonneville Power Administration as part of a reparation program to compensate for the construction of Hungry Horse Dam. The dam sits near the mouth of the South Fork of the Flathead River.

Because the federal agency is funding the program, it is in charge of conducting the environmental review.

The project was highly controversial when it was first proposed in April 2001, drawing criticism from wilderness advocates, outfitters and guides and many anglers. The state withdrew the proposal, largely to address concerns that were raised and to conduct a more thorough review.

An environmental assessment that was released in 2002 also was criticized by a number of groups for still not addressing concerns about the use of the poison Rotenone and the use of helicopters and motorboats to carry out the poisoning in some of the areas. Those concerns prompted the BPA to conduct the EIS.

The draft EIS will address fears that the poison could affect other aquatic life and will offer alternatives to using motor vehicles in the project.

Westslope cutthroat now occupy about 9 percent of their historic range in Montana, and the South Fork has one of the strongest remaining populations, said Brian Marotz, the state's special projects manager for fisheries.

The presence of nonnative rainbow trout and Yellowstone cutthroats has, over decades, led to hybrid trout in many alpine lakes that feed into the South Fork river system. If left unchecked, hybrid fish will eventually dominate the basin, Marotz said.

"When you mix a rainbow with a cutthroat, it's no longer a cutthroat," he said. "This is a species that's native to Montana. It's Montana's state fish, and they're not going to be here for future generations unless we nip this in the bud."

Once the draft environmental statement is released, there will be a 45-day public comment period.
LINK

Nemont

IMO, that's a good thing. I fully support maintenance of native species in fisheries over exotics. But, where do we draw the line?? What about chukars? Pheasants?

I've yet to see a study, but I'd like to see the direct effects (ie competition) that chukar, huns, or pheasant have on native species like sage grouse, sharptails, or prairie chickens.

Lets get real here, Bush hasnt done a thing to help native west slope cutthroat.

He's doing what was promised, although probably not to the extent needed.

Read this: The westslope cutthroat stocking project is being funded by the Bonneville Power Administration as part of a reparation program to compensate for the construction of Hungry Horse Dam. The dam sits near the mouth of the South Fork of the Flathead River.

Its something that was already going to happen, the Administration isnt kicking in additional funding or providing much of anything. I guess his cheerleading days came in handy after-all. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Also, keep in mind the reason why westslope cutthroat were threatened to begin with...poor policy.

Buzz,
I don't get it. You blame the president for counting hatchery raised fish, EG blames him for letting water go from Fort Peck(because he is in charge of the Corps of Eng), Blames him for dams not being breached, Blames him for grazing rules changing, blames him for ruining the global enviroment. You guys blame him for all those things because he is president and is in control
but if the government helps reintroduce a species then he gets no credit at all. Help me out here.
I don't get how he is in charge of all those things but shouldn't get any credit for this.

Nemont

Nemont,

Come on, why should he get credit for this? He was probably snorting coke and driving through hedges when hungry horse dam was being built.

This is not being done out of the graciousness of Dubya or his administration. Its being done to mitigate the loss of fish and fish habitat in an agreement reached because of hungry horse dam.

You make it sound like Dubya took a boat ride across hungry horse resevoir, and found that cutthroat were negatively impacted by the dam. Then he saw the light and appropriated money to help the poor cutthroat. It was part of a bargain the United States Government was obligated to fulfill...yet once again have failed to do, and cutthroat, like salmon and steelhead, have taken a hit.

Its about like me wanting an award for paying my taxes every year that I'm obligated to pay.

Buzz,
That is fair enough. I never said Bush took a boat ride anywhere. But you need to be consistent then and noy agree with all the b.s. post that Bush is raping the planet. It cuts both ways. I really don't care who you vote for just be even handed about your critism or praise of either guy.

Nemont

[ 05-05-2004, 09:47: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Nemont, nor do I care who you vote for.

But for the record, I'm once again forced to write one in.

I cant, with a clear conscience, vote for either, they both are horrible.

Buzz,

But for the record, I'm once again forced to write one in.

I cant, with a clear conscience, vote for either, they both are horrible.
I admire you for sticking to your principles.

Nemont

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back