PEAX Equipment

bullet style

mixedbag

I've been shooting federal premium ammo the past 2 years with the nosler bullet 180 grain out of 300 win mag.Seems they are always improving on bullets.Was wondering what you all are using now.Not sure if I should change to bear claw or the bonded tip.Be using the gun for elk and mulies with shots that could stretch to 300 yards.I prefer to get closer but sometimes you take what is given
I read a review in Eastmans,but maybe someone on here could give me a lesson on performance and whats the most important
Thanks

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you have been using the last 2 years. And, the only thing that really improves the last 2 years is the marketing of "new" and "better" and "improved" and "greatest" and "gotta have".

The deer and elk have NOT evolved in the last 2 years, they still have leather coats, a bunch of read meat stuffed inside, some bones, and some other stuff.

If your bullets were good 2 years ago, you like them, they shoot well in your gun, then you are good to go.

Now, if you are just looking for an excuse to shoot a bunch this summer and see what else your gun likes, then, by all means have at it as that can be a lot of fun.

Jose is correct ,the only thing that has improved in the last 2,000,000 years is the marketing. That said your spear with the obsidian point should perform quit well.

Which Nosler bullet are you using? Accubond, Ballistic Tip, or the Partition. The partition and accubond are both premium bullets that have very good performance levels. The ballistic tip is a very good bullet, but comes apart a little easy for elk/moose sized game.

The Accubond is my go to bullet in every caliber I use that it is available.

I've done quite a bit of loading and shooting this year:

IMG_4898.JPG

Mostly shoot nosler products: Partitions, Accubonds, old school solid base, and Ballistic tips.

I'll slum a few Hornady, Speer, and Sierras once in a while as well.

I've found the Ballistic tips, Accubonds, and Hornady the most accurate out of most of my rifles...for what its worth.

In a pinch, I'd probably shoot any of them at game.

I've done quite a bit of loading and shooting this year:

IMG_4898.JPG

Mostly shoot nosler products: Partitions, Accubonds, old school solid base, and Ballistic tips.

I'll slum a few Hornady, Speer, and Sierras once in a while as well.

I've found the Ballistic tips, Accubonds, and Hornady the most accurate out of most of my rifles...for what its worth.

In a pinch, I'd probably shoot any of them at game.

Hey Buzz,

Have you ever shot any antelope?

Love me some accubonds...... Partitions worked great for me before I switched

I'm cheap, so I shoot Hornady's. I get 1/2 MOA out of my pre-64 winchester using the interlock and the interbond.

I get about 3/4 MOA out of my .338 using the interlock and the interbond.

35 Whelen gets close to 3/4 MOA with the cheap interlock 250 grain round noses.

We'll see how the bonded bullets work in the 7mm mauser I just got back from the Ruger Factory. It liked the 154 grain Interlocks last night (about 1.5 MOA).

I've never had a problem with the standard interlock performing on game. If I were shooting a whizz bang 300 Ultra Mag, I'd like to have a heavily constructed bullet, but the reality is, if you're shooting a standard caliber, at published velocities, the only reason to step up beyond a cup and core bullet is for larger game like elk, moose and brown bear.

Everything else gets a cheap bullet. It lets me shoot more, and that proficiency behind the rifle is much more important that a bullet that costs $1.00 per.

I'd see no reason in changing from any 180gr .308 Nosler bullet, even the Ballistic Tip, for the game you are after. The 180gr BT is contructed quite a bit heavier than some of the smaller diameter versions with the copper jacket making up about 60% of the weight (this info is from a reputable gunwriter).

That said, the two alternatives you listed have VERY good reputations on game. IMO, they won't do anything all that much better than what you're shooting now, but it'd be a pretty inexpensive experiment to try a box and see if they shoot better. But, my suggestion would be to save the money on buying factory ammo to experiment with and put that towards getting set up to load your own. I greatly enjoy that additional "work" in shooting and hunting...

I guess your right Jose,if it ain't broke why try and fix it.The loads I shoot have done very well for me in the past,and my gun shoots them good.Plus, I have plenty left over from Africa since I got most with my bow.Just wanted to make sure there wasn't any major improvements in bullets that I should try

I'm a Hornady fan myself and all I shoot in the three calibers I reload for and use the most. I stay with 100 grain BTSPs in the .243 Sako Forester, 117 grains in the Ruger M77, and 150 grains in the pre 64 Model 70, Sako Finnbear, and 03A3 Springfield that Dad built in 1973. I used the Interbonds in 30-06 for elk when I was hunting them and they shot to the same POI as the Interlocks, but I haven't even tried for a cow tag for some time now. All those rifles shoot under MOA with the Interlocks if I do my part.

I can't believe this. I actually agree with Jose Cuervo and Ben Lamb, and in the same thread! No need to make a change if your weapon hits where you aim and the animal ends up dead. For the record, I shoot Hornady SST's on the small stuff and Nosler Partitions on the big stuff. I'm dying to try the SST out of my .338 to see how it performs on game, but that would mean I actually have drawn an elk tag.

I like Accubonds, but Partitions work just fine. Not all of my rifles will shoot Paritions, though, so I shoot Ballistic Tips, Barnes X, and Hornadays as well.

heart/lung shot

I've been very pleased with how the 180 grain barnes triple-shock has performed in my 300wm. I've taken Kudu, gembok, blue wilderbeast, black bear and mountain goat with it.

IMO- the 300wm is too fast for the ballistic tip. Overall, use a well made bullet (Barnes, accubonds, swift a-frame, trophy bonded tip, NP) that shoots the best and you are confident with.

Have used Hornady bullets for quite a while now and they always have performed well. Going to try the Hornady 139g Interbond for the 7mm-08 my daughter has, and 162g SST and 154gr Interbond with my 280. The calcs look good, we'll see how they do punching paper. I've never used the ballistic tips before, but they bump up the BC, so we'll see if they improve my groups.

I've known Jose for many years, and I think this is the first or maybe second time we've agreed on something. After the jacket bonding, the only real improvement in bullets has been in the sales department. New words to convince you that what has worked for years, doesn't work anymore. You need the newest, latest greatest, improved, faster, straighter shooting, blah blah blah. They will kill that deer or elk or elephant twice as dead as that old bullet you've been shooting for all these years.

I've known Jose for many years, and I think this is the first or maybe second time we've agreed on something. After the jacket bonding, the only real improvement in bullets has been in the sales department. New words to convince you that what has worked for years, doesn't work anymore. You need the newest, latest greatest, improved, faster, straighter shooting, blah blah blah. They will kill that deer or elk or elephant twice as dead as that old bullet you've been shooting for all these years.

+1 on this. I'd say this also applies to all the hype in having to have a magnum rifle to get the job done.

Back