Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Building Youth AZ Bonus pts

JV842

I want to start building points for my grandson, that way I can possibly give him one hell of a graduation (high school/college) present. I’ve gotten him an ID number, purchased his
license, now how do I purchase his bonus point? It says he can’t apply for the big game draw because of his age (6) but I can’t find anywhere on the site just to get him a point. I was able to for myself but that was because I was able to start the application process, for him it won’t let me pass the initial part.
Any help would be appreciated. I’m going to try n call their number on Monday but I know
the deadline for elk is on the 12th.

A youngster must be 10 years old at the time of the draw deadline if they are applying for JUST a bonus point in Arizona.

If they are applying for an actual big game tag, they can be 9 at the draw deadline but must turn 10 before the actual hunt is scheduled to begin. HOWEVER (see below) ...

Anyone younger than 14 MUST have obtained their Arizona hunter safety card to legally hunt big game in Arizona.

But, as an alternative, you can buy a license and points for his mother and/or grandmother for the next several years. Then transfer the tag to him when she draws...

A youngster must be 10 years old at the time of the draw deadline if they are applying for JUST a bonus point in Arizona.

If they are applying for an actual big game tag, they can be 9 at the draw deadline but must turn 10 before the actual hunt is scheduled to begin. HOWEVER (see below) ...

Anyone younger than 14 MUST have obtained their Arizona hunter safety card to legally hunt big game in Arizona.

I don't think it has to be an Arizona hunter safety class for those 10-14 years of age. A hunters ed class from another state works, you just don't get the hunter ed bonus point

Blackcats06:

You're correct (I get fixated on bonus points since you never know when they will make that important difference). An approved hunter safety card is necessary for youth ages 10-14. Passing an Arizona hunter safety class would earn a youngster a permanent bonus point and improve their chances at getting drawn (a smart move) ...

true about age 10 and the youth hunts are mostly cow elk you will start paying straight fee once he gets older. just started with my 10 year old i think its great $20 for the point

Thanks for the responses. Guess I have to wait a bit for him, also have another one who’s only 10months who I hope will love it like his big brother

I am so confused on how to get a first time kid into the system so that we can build points. I can't simply create an account for my oldest since he not 13 or older. I'm on hold and will try to write down the steps once I figure it out.

OK, I got it figured out - you have to buy the standalone license first and then use that information to enter the draw. This is probably basic info for most but I was stumped for a bit there. Here's to my kid's first points!

Also - might want to confirm this, but I'm pretty sure Montana allows points to be built for kids starting at 1 year old. You could check that out as well.

I just got off the phone today (Mon, Feb. 11) with the draw department of Ariz. G&F ...

You can't set up a portal for a youngster until they're 13 years old.

You need to go the main Ariz. G&F web site page, then left click on "Apply for the Draw" box.

Starting a brand new separate application, using whatever hunter ID # that appears on your son/daughter's Arizona hunting license, continue from there to purchase a bonus point for your youngster (it will be $15).

Post back here when/if that helps ...

I just got off the phone today (Mon, Feb. 11) with the draw department of Ariz. G&F ...

You can't set up a portal for a youngster until they're 13 years old.

You need to go the main Ariz. G&F web site page, then left click on "Apply for the Draw" box.

Starting a brand new separate application, using whatever hunter ID # that appears on your son/daughter's Arizona hunting license, continue from there to purchase a bonus point for your youngster (it will be $15).

Post back here when/if that helps ...
Yep! I did that on Friday for my son, except I could still use his license from last year.

Since you can't set up a portal for them, I strongly suggest you print/save/file the reciept so you can show proof of purchase in case they get it wrong. I do that for all applications, mine included.

I was recently told by a guy that he has been buying points for his little kids in AZ. These kids are like <7. I didn’t know this was possible. He says it lets him buy them. Is this just due to AZ’s crappy website letting him buy them, or is this actually legal? @WapitiBob you seem pretty knowledgeable on AZ. Any ideas?

Also this year my cousin was told he couldn’t create a portal account for his 11 yr old, but this was shortly after he had done just that.

I was recently told by a guy that he has been buying points for his little kids in AZ. These kids are like <7. I didn’t know this was possible. He says it lets him buy them. Is this just due to AZ’s crappy website letting him buy them, or is this actually legal? @WapitiBob you seem pretty knowledgeable on AZ. Any ideas?

Also this year my cousin was told he couldn’t create a portal account for his 11 yr old, but this was shortly after he had done just that.
It's not possible to legally buy points for anyone under the age of 10 in AZ. He is either lying or created an account with a fake birthdate. If they are 9 and turn ten before the hunt, you can apply them for the hunt but not just buy them a point until they are in fact ten. My son turned ten last July and I went through this.
You can create a portal separate portal account for a youth but they want a different email then what is register to your account. I added my son to my portal which adds more pain to the process. Now everything I log into my portal, I get a code texted to my phone because it is a joint portal account.

The AZ system is full of holes, starting with the license. Now that the license has to be purchased online or thru a vendor (also now online) some of those holes will get plugged. Well I would assume so.

If the base system doesn’t check license validity, it’s screwed from the get go. Just sayin

Last edited:

that-sounds-like-bullshit-to-me.jpg

No I really think it’s legitimate. Now I don’t know how he’s doing it exactly, but I had 0 reason to think he was lying.

Last edited:
If he is buying bonus point in AZ for children under ten, it's not legit. This is straight from the AZ regulations.

R12-4-104 — Amended Application Procedures for Issuance of Hunt Permit-tags by Computer Draw and Purchase of Bonus Points
A. For the purposes of this Section, “group” means all applicants who placed their names on a single application as part of the same application.
B. A person is eligible to apply: 1. For a hunt permit-tag if the person:

a. Is at least 10 years of age at the start of the hunt for which the person is applying;
b. Has successfully completed a Department-sanctioned hunter education course by the start date of the hunt for which the person is applying, when the person is between 9 and 14 years of age;

c. Has not reached the bag limit established under subsection (J) for that genus; and d. Is not suspended or revoked in this state as a result of an action under A.R.S. §§ 17-340 or 17-502 at the time the person submits an application.

2. For a bonus point if the person: a. Is at least 10 years of age by the application deadline date; and
b. Is not suspended or revoked in this state as a result of an action under A.R.S. §§ 17-340 or 17-502 at the time the person submits an application

You can get around it by creating a false birthdate otherwise you have to be nine to apply for a hunt and ten to apply for a bonus point.

Back