Yeti GOBOX Collection

Budget Spotting Scope Advice

I'd do the 12x bino's and a tripod. You can still use them with out a tripod for quick looks to glance an area over. Tripod for longer sits watching different areas.

Okay, I’ve decided to get a new pair of binos rather than a low-end spotter. I can get a set of Bushnell engage binos for just over $200 (military discount), and they offer them in 10x50 and 12x50. Would this be better than the Maven c1’s? The Bushnells use ed glass and have good reviews, but everyone seems to absolutely love their Mavens, despite only being offered in 42mm. Any thoughts?

The C.1’s punch WAY out of their price range, even the 12x42. The good thing about the C.1’s is they are only 24 ounces. Far more manageable to free hand.

I have sat down with the different maven models to compare and found that I was not able to hold the 11x and 12x steady enough to justify the smaller FOV and brightness they offered compared to the 8, 9, and 10x models. They have spec sheets on the website to see the differences in FOV, brightness, light transmission, twilight factor, etc... The 8x C series also has much longer eye relief if you wear glasses, 19.5 mm vs 15mm in the 12x
https://mavenbuilt.com/c-series-binoculars/

My favorites were the C series 8x42 and the B series 9x45.

Might be worth doing a demo to see which one your eyes prefer.

I've gone to using 12x50's on a tripod 90% of the time when I expect to sit and glass for hours on end. As someone pointed out above, "glassing" thru a spotter sucks. Sometimes I carry 8x42's and a tripod if I expect to alternate between moving and sitting. It's a compromise of sorts. Typically, if I'm scouting new territory in the off season I use the 8x42's but when it comes to actually hunting it's the 12x50's. I haven't even used my spotter for several years now.

Okay, I’ve decided to get a new pair of binos rather than a low-end spotter. I can get a set of Bushnell engage binos for just over $200 (military discount), and they offer them in 10x50 and 12x50. Would this be better than the Maven c1’s? The Bushnells use ed glass and have good reviews, but everyone seems to absolutely love their Mavens, despite only being offered in 42mm. Any thoughts?

Between the reviews I just looked at and the others in this thread that have recommended the Maven C1's, I would go with the Maven's without a doubt. 10x42 is what I would be getting. It's the happy-medium.

I think I’ve figured out what I plan to do. I’m going to pick up a set of maven c1’s in 8x42 to replace my 8x36’s since that’s the pair that I use constantly here in Wisconsin and out west. Once I’ve saved up some additional money and sold the 8x36’s, I will get a set of 12x binos. But this raises a new question: do I get a set of maven 12x42’s or bushnell engage 12x50’s? Having had very little experience with different binos, I’m not sure exactly how important that extra 8mm of lens diameter is.

I would still suggest a scope.
Binos are good for spotting game at a distance, but to find out if it's what you want to go afteryou can't beat a scope.

You had mentioned Celestron in your original post. If i may suggest, a different Celestron.
The C70 Mini Mak.
Short, but fat. Light weight!! Good glass. Able to take different filters, and eye pieces.
Less than $100 on Amazon.
Yellow filter really makes finding animals far away stand out. Blue filter at sun rise/set really help too.

I’ve owned three cheap spotting scopes. They don’t hold value and they inevitably disappoint.

I just can’t advise it. The best cheap one I had was the Leupold Ventana.

But keep an eye on Cabelas. Sometimes you can get nice optics on close out for 50-70% off. I bought a Cabela’s spotting scope that sold for $899 but paid $329 for it. It’s on par with my buddy’s Razor HD. There are good deals if you can be patient.

From a guy with lots of used optics in the garage, I just don’t think $300 12x binoculars are going to impress you or leave you satisfied.

I don't see the need to have both 10X and 12X binos. Jumping up to 15X and putting them on a tripod is a whole different animal, but IMO to get the ones that make lugging them around worth it you'll need to greatly expand your budget. I'd suggest giving poster schmaltz a call and see what he has. His binos are very good for the money and I do like his spotter, but I don't think he carries those any more.

http://theronoptics.com/

That said, from what you are describing, get the best 10X you can afford and just go hunt. They may not be the best for field judging a critter at distance, but it doesn't appear that is your greatest worry.

I’ve owned three cheap spotting scopes. They don’t hold value and they inevitably disappoint.

I just can’t advise it. ...

Agree with this... but I also understand that a guy only has so much free cash laying around. Been there...

I think I've had 6 different spotting scopes over the years. I honestly couldn't tell that much difference between the price points of $150 and $400 scopes. Even looking through the latest models in this range, they are on par with the 6-800 scopes of 20 years ago and are better than the cheap ones of yesteryear. I've given away all my old scopes, or I'd just give you one of them.

Some of the low end $ scopes are not bad, and would work just fine for what you intend. Spotting animals at long range and determining general size. My old 1990 Tasco could tell me if a bull was a raghorn or a 6pt from about 3 miles with good conditions, but I could make out antler frames. I also spent a lot of time looking for big deer with it. I will say when I made my last upgrade from a Gold Ring to Ziess, it was night and day.

I'm not a fan of high powered binos, been through a pile of them as well. An 8x36 or 10x42 are perfect for pretty much any hunting especially when complimented with a spotter, even a cheap one. I wouldn't get 50mm anything, and wouldn't go above 10x, they get to big and bulky and are hard to hold with one hand. Sometimes that's all the tie you have... You don't gain much, and they are very hard to keep steady. I tried the tripod route... total waste of time, IMO. You will spend lots of time setting up and tearing down for a 5 minute glassing session. I would much rather put a spotting scope on the same tripod and have something useful. I will say this... I can spot animals at the same distance with my Swaro binos as I can with any of my cheap spotting scopes.

While I agree that you will use your bino's a lot more than a spotter, I just don't think the "upgrade" to low end binos would net you much in the long run either... and you will still be lacking a spotter and go through this all over again 5 years down the road when you decide your binos are junk. What will you do next time? Upgrade your binos by a few hundred more, and still not have spotter? :D

If I had to guess, I would say I split my time between my binos and spotter about 60/40. I use my spotter a lot, and will scan areas and pick them apart. You will see way more game this way than with just binos alone. If I'm in a good vantage point I will sit and glass for an hour or more at a time.

Watch Ebay/Craigslist/local adds for a used spotter. You can find great deals on those mid range spotters for the same price as a new entry level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back