Bucks, Birds, and Yotes

Big Sky

Let me just start off by saying I'm no Kurt, Pat, Randy, Bryce, or any other killer of mega trophies. If anything I'm the king of mediorce so if it's a page full photos of monster animals with freak of nature sized antlers you are looking for, you will be disappointed. However all these hunts do quality as "On Your Own" so hopefully it won't bore you all to death.

Started off packing out this buck for a friend. I personally thought it was a really cool looking tall racked muley. I'da shot him in a heart beat if I would have seen him first. :)
TroywithEdonsBuck.jpg

My friend had never seen a buck deboned or experienced packing one out before so we gave him a quick lesson. I think he's now sold on the process and I doubt he will be dragging out many more deer. ;)
TroypackingoutEldonsbuck.jpg

Went back a week or so later to try to find a buck for me. Saw around 20 bucks, but couldn't find one that I wanted to invite home. Settled for this coyote though. Poor little bugger zigged when he should have zagged and met the bidness end of my 30.06. Sort'a lost his mind. ;)
TroyNov15A.jpg

Before and after this hunt I was also trying to get my 3rd oldest on his first whitetail buck. He'd killed very respectable mule deer bucks the previous 3 years and it was time for a change/challenge. I had no idea it would take so much time, but he finally connected on this buck.
CaydenandTroy11-18-10.jpg

Continued...

After we got the buck in the skinning shed and we thawed out a little I actually got my son to smile for a photo. I think his face was frozen in the first pick.
CaydenNov182010.jpg

After my son's hunt I had a friend from California coming out here on his first mule deer hunt. By 8:30am the first morning of his hunt he made a great 305 yard, one shot, kill.
TimandTroy11-19-10.jpg

My pard packed out the antlers and hide. Yours truly got stuck with all the meat. Good thing he's a good friend. ;)
TimsbuckMyTruck11-19-10.jpg

We hunted the rest of the day and I really was in the mood to kill something but all I saw were bucks I wasn't interested in. Thankfully this pretty coyote paused when she should have run. Dropped her with one shot at 290 yards. If it looks cold in these photos it is because it is! However it got much worse the next day.
TroyCoyoteNov192010A-1.jpg

The next day the temps dropped to between -20 to -25 with blowing snow. Visibility sucked and it was a very harsh day. We saw very few deer, but quite a few birds. So I let my pard shoot pheasants, hungarian partridge, and sharptailed grouse as I figured he didn't get to do that much in California. At the end of the day, and only a few hundreds yards from the gate to leave the property, we stopped above a ravine. I had seen some pheasants fly into the ravine and told my partner if he wanted them, he was welcome to go walk the ravine. I had put my rifle behind the seat and figured I was done for the day. Sure as shootin' when he opened his door to get out, up jumps a very nice whitetail buck and two does. By the time I get my rifle from behind the seat, out the door, scope cover flipped up, round jacked into the chamber, bi-pod down, scope turned up, and the buck in the scope, he's packing the mail at around 300 yards. Wind is howling crossways and I get one quick shot...which I missed. Now I'm pissed, depressed, and really upset with myself for letting my guard down. Worse yet the landowner calls to let me know his son in law killed the buck 3 days later. All I have to show for the day is this pile of birds and frost bit ears. However a few birds is better than nothing.
TroyBirdsNov20.jpg

With my spirits low and the season nearly over I figured I was going to eat my tag. While pouting around my house I get a call from a good friend that invites me to hunt on his property and stay at his cabin in the mountains. He said he hadn't seen anything exciting, but there were a few deer around and one never knew...I figured what the heck, my season is basically over I main as well enjoy the company of a good friend, rather than sit around my house and pout. Long story short, we make a long 4 mile hike threw 2 feet of wet-heavy snow, using snow shoes. We see quite a few bucks but nothing that I wanted. Then with only an hour and a half left in my season this buck walks out and chased every dark cloud out of my head. He was with a doe that kept him preoccupied just long enough for me to kill him. I was very happy to take this "final moments of the hunt" buck. I am rarely lucky, but on this hunt I'd have to say the last day proved to be an exception.
TroyDeerNov272010BSide.jpg

I have to admit though I really like this buck and I think he looks pretty good from any angle. :D
TroyDeerNov272010A.jpg

Great pics, Big Sky. That whitetail at the bottom is an amazing buck. I agree, he looks great from any angle.

Congrats to all your friends and family on some great animals.

The last one has matching horn/body mass.....very good buck, outstanding season w/all the others too!

Real nice Troy. You just can't beat that whitetail, or the dead coyotes.

Moosie, most all the roads are impassible because of the snow. I no longer live in relatively flat country but back in the mountains. Killed the buck up around 6000 feet. The hike in was two miles and then two miles back out. Last I checked that adds up to 4 miles. So call BS all you want, but if you know a way to get around in 2 feet or more of wet snow besides on your hind legs, and don't own or have access to a snowmobiles or horses, I'd like to know about it? :confused: I'd love an alternative mostly because my legs are still sore and the hunt was last Saturday.

Looks like some damn good times and some good animals hitting the ground. Congrats Big Sky!

Those are some great pictures and hunts! Hey I'll bring the snowmobile and horses if I can tag along with you ;) Congrats

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back