Browning super light feather O/U 12 ga.

Unless shooting very light loads, that gun will probably belt you hard.

I was getting slapped good tonight when I switched to BlindSide shells pheasant hunting (federal refuge requires steel shot and those $$$ bazooka loads are all I could find locally). And I was shooting them through a heavy 31" barrel 1961 Browning A5 magnum. Missed a couple of gimme shots at a pair of sharpies a few minutes before shooting hours ended. I don't miss those shots. Figured I must be flinching. Went ten yards to the road for three mile walk back to the Jimmy and my Lab got birdy in the ditch tulies. I stepped back off the road and a nice rooster flushed quartering away. Still had one shell in the gun but caught myself flinching as he flew across the road, added a few feet to the lead, squeezed smoothly, and dumped him. Looked at my watch and bang on closing time. Third rooster to fill my limit but it reqired an all day effort. Plus two sharptails. Took ten shots so I knew something was wrong.

Lightweight shotguns are a good way to wreck good shooting skills. I suppose they are somewhat essential for thick ruff grouse country. But for anything that involves more than one or two shots a day, I say go with a heavier gun, especially if fixed breech (e.g. O/U or pump). They swing better and less recoil. Frankly, I can't imagine shooting tonight's shells through my standard weight 28" Citori O/U. Would have kicked my head off.

I have the Browning 725 Feather 12 gauge, which weighs about 6 ounces more than the superlight feather. For those of us who aren’t man enough to pack a 31” 9 pound Auto 5 through 20 foot snow drifts in the chukar hills, it’s a pretty sweet gun. Carries and points well, looks great. Recoil with pheasant loads is fine, and no different than any other light 12 gauge.

I have the Browning 725 Feather 12 gauge, which weighs about 6 ounces more than the superlight feather. For those of us who aren’t man enough to pack a 31” 9 pound Auto 5 through 20 foot snow drifts in the chukar hills, it’s a pretty sweet gun. Carries and points well, looks great. Recoil with pheasant loads is fine, and no different than any other light 12 gauge.
Chukars is a unique game for sure. One of those feather dusters would probably be just the ticket in that vertical country. How many shots do you get on a good day? I was fighting cattails and bullrushes today. Not much snow, soft stuff, and essentially no elevation change. Still a very long day. Slow going in that crap.

Chukars is a unique game for sure. One of those feather dusters would probably be just the ticket in that vertical country. How many shots do you get on a good day? I was fighting cattails and bullrushes today. Not much snow, soft stuff, and essentially no elevation change. Still a very long day. Slow going in that crap.
I’ve hunted chukars all of 3 days in my life, but it’s a great gun for it, pheasants, or any other upland hunting. I fired probably 4 or 5 rounds a day, birds were on the run and it was tough hunting.

A good good day is six shots. A bad good day may be 20+. An average day is 12-15.

With standard high velocity 1 1/4 oz field loads I think that would be a fine gun.

Unless shooting very light loads, that gun will probably belt you hard.

I was getting slapped good tonight when I switched to BlindSide shells pheasant hunting (federal refuge requires steel shot and those $$$ bazooka loads are all I could find locally). And I was shooting them through a heavy 31" barrel 1961 Browning A5 magnum. Missed a couple of gimme shots at a pair of sharpies a few minutes before shooting hours ended. I don't miss those shots. Figured I must be flinching. Went ten yards to the road for three mile walk back to the Jimmy and my Lab got birdy in the ditch tulies. I stepped back off the road and a nice rooster flushed quartering away. Still had one shell in the gun but caught myself flinching as he flew across the road, added a few feet to the lead, squeezed smoothly, and dumped him. Looked at my watch and bang on closing time. Third rooster to fill my limit but it reqired an all day effort. Plus two sharptails. Took ten shots so I knew something was wrong.

Lightweight shotguns are a good way to wreck good shooting skills. I suppose they are somewhat essential for thick ruff grouse country. But for anything that involves more than one or two shots a day, I say go with a heavier gun, especially if fixed breech (e.g. O/U or pump). They swing better and less recoil. Frankly, I can't imagine shooting tonight's shells through my standard weight 28" Citori O/U. Would have kicked my head off.
Recoil has never been a problem for me while hunting ,I guess I can always put on a good pad if this is unbearable. I was mostly interested in functions and reliability, balance etc.Thanks

A good good day is six shots. A bad good day may be 20+. An average day is 12-15.

With standard high velocity 1 1/4 oz field loads I think that would be a fine gun.
I'd suggest keeping the velocity down to 1200 fps or even less. Chukars are not real tough birds. Then those 1.25 oz loads should be fairly soft. These BlindSide loads are 1.25 oz and 1400 fps. They were knocking me good ... but I discovered cleaning the gun last night I had the friction ring set for light loads. Oops. Even with the proper rings/brake setup I find Federal's 1500 fps special pheasant shells are ridiculous for recoil, especially when I'm using my other Light Twelve A5 auto. Had to buy them once because that's all that was on the shelf ... never again! Ouch!

Generally for pheasants I shoot 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz in #5 if I can get them. Very deadly and pleasant to shoot in the auto (which is why they are deadly). I usually shoot the same load at the range all summer but I also shoot quite a few 1250 fps, especially as waterfowl season approaches. They kick a little more but I seem to shoot them better (slightly). Different powder and better pattern.

I'd suggest keeping the velocity down to 1200 fps or even less. Chukars are not real tough birds. Then those 1.25 oz loads should be fairly soft. These BlindSide loads are 1.25 oz and 1400 fps. They were knocking me good ... but I discovered cleaning the gun last night I had the friction ring set for light loads. Oops. Even with the proper rings/brake setup I find Federal's 1500 fps special pheasant shells are ridiculous for recoil, especially when I'm using my other Light Twelve A5 auto. Had to buy them once because that's all that was on the shelf ... never again! Ouch!

Generally for pheasants I shoot 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz in #5 if I can get them. Very deadly and pleasant to shoot in the auto (which is why they are deadly). I usually shoot the same load at the range all summer but I also shoot quite a few 1250 fps, especially as waterfowl season approaches. They kick a little more but I seem to shoot them better (slightly). Different powder and better pattern.
Thanks for elaborating. My go to 16 gauge loads are 1 1/8 oz at 1300 FPS. Out of fixed choke no less.

Thanks for elaborating. My go to 16 gauge loads are 1 1/8 oz at 1300 FPS. Out of fixed choke no less.
If you're shooting uplands you don't need that much zip. They generally aren't that tough. Just avoid the long shots. No fun to lose cripples anyway. I have a 16 gauge Model 12 (my first gun) with full and 28" barrel. I have shot those loads a lot (mostly because it's usually all that's available) and they let me know it when they go bang. Not a lightweight gun but not very heavy either.

Several years ago on the way west I stopped in at Grand Forks Scheels to pick up pheasant ammo. All they had in steel shot was waterfowl bazooka loads in #2 and BB. Not for refuge pheasants! But there was also a stack of steel dove ammo: low base #6. I bought a box but didn't expect much. First twelve shots dropped roosters! I think I only missed three times with the whole box. Those shells barely ejected (which is ideal) and recoil was so soft I thought the first one was a misfire. Had to look to see if it did eject.

If you're shooting uplands you don't need that much zip. They generally aren't that tough. Just avoid the long shots. No fun to lose cripples anyway. I have a 16 gauge Model 12 (my first gun) with full and 28" barrel. I have shot those loads a lot (mostly because it's usually all that's available) and they let me know it when they go bang. Not a lightweight gun but not very heavy either.

Several years ago on the way west I stopped in at Grand Forks Scheels to pick up pheasant ammo. All they had in steel shot was waterfowl bazooka loads in #2 and BB. Not for refuge pheasants! But there was also a stack of steel dove ammo: low base #6. I bought a box but didn't expect much. First twelve shots dropped roosters! I think I only missed three times with the whole box. Those shells barely ejected (which is ideal) and recoil was so soft I thought the first one was a misfire. Had to look to see if it did eject.
Thanks for the advice.

I have never once thought about recoil while shooting at live birds.

🤷

All day at the skeet range and I would go for a heavier gun.
I’ve never once thought “man this 16 kicks too much”.

I never thought my 1968 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge magnum goose gun was particularly mean. Then I had to switch to an auto after multiple retina detachments. Every once in a while when the weather is crappy I'll dust her off for trap league night. I shoot it well enough but it always amazes me after a round how I put up with such a thumping (relatively speaking) for over thirty years. And occasionally if I can find legal ammo, I'll shoot a round or two of trap with the 16 gauge pump for fun. Same thing. How did I ever put up with that?

Becoming recoil sensitive is not neccessarily something that occurs on cue. Not a phobia. Developing a flinch doesn't always happen because one consciously anticipates recoil. It's the unconcious response that's the problem. It's why many competitive trap shooters switch to release triggers. They are tricking their unconcious response to flinch and jerk the trigger.

Where one really starts to notice heavy recoil is with follow up shots. It's harder to get back on target. Combine that with a lightweight gun's tendency to be "whippy" and usually more shots are missed. Last year a new guy showed up at clays with a pretty second hand straight grip Citori 12 gauge and 26" barrels both IC. Clearly someone's grouse gun. He was having a very hard time getting into double figures for fifty target round. After two weeks of watching his frustration I suggested he grab my extra A5 Light Twelve from the double gun case in my Jimmy. It's fixed modified which is a little tight for some stations but what the hell, he had nothing to lose. He shot into the twenties both rounds. I thought he was going to cry when I told him the gun wasn't for sale (formerly my dad's gun). The difference is less recoil (heavier gun and auto) and longer barrel for smoother swing. When that guy obliterated his first rabbit target I thought he'd wet his pants. He traded the stubby grouse gun to someone for a Benelli auto and has been doing great since

I think if you shot a Browning Sweet Sixteen A5 auto (old model, not the new one - inertia autos kick hard) for a while and then picked up your fixed breech 16 gauge you WOULD definitely notice the difference. I certainly notice the difference shooting a twelve gauge auto.

I think if you shot a Browning Sweet Sixteen A5 auto (old model, not the new one - inertia autos kick hard) for a while and then picked up your fixed breech 16 gauge you WOULD definitely notice the difference. I certainly notice the difference shooting a twelve gauge auto.
I appreciate your concern. I’ll stick with what I have.

You can scroll on by as well. Now, I need to go glue my retinas back in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back