Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Broad head?

I asked this in the elk forum also, but what broad head do you use and why? I like muzzy trocar but I've always been curious to try a mechanical like randy ulmers or the rage hypodermic. What do you think?

I had the Rage 3 Blade broadheads a couple years ago, but I had issues with the blades coming loose from the O rings while hiking/stalking. I never did get an opportunity to let one fly at an animal. I ended up switching to fixed blade G5 Strikers because I could never get past the thought that I would have an O ring slip or come loose at the last minute.

Wac'em Triton for me......the BEST flying head I tested on a hooter shooter machine a few years back. Flew right with field points out to 100 yards. True cut-on-contact replaceable blade head with a ferrule made from solid steel and not molded or injected.

I'm sticking with my Shuttle T Black Ops. I have found them to fly great and hit animals with brutal force. I have tried Muzzy MX4's and Slick Trick Mags, but still keep coming back to the Shuttle's.

Used Thunderheads for many years & worked well and my buddy had been using vortex 2 1/2 WOW the blood trail and the animal never went far even on a bad hit. Tried the100g 2'' swhacker I'm impressed blades are stronger than rage & animal goes down fast & one hell of a blood trail.

I have used 3 bladed Muzzy's for years. I recently started messing around and found a few that fly better then my muzzy's. For a fixed blade head the best I have used is the VPA's. I really like this head. I also have Grim Reapers in my quiver. I have found that in cross winds, the mechanical style heads fly better then fixed bladed heads. Why I still use fixed heads is the VPA's are machined from one piece of steel, no welds and I can shoot the same broadhead over and over and over. Just touch it up on a stone and back in the quiver.

Been usingthe rage extremes. Devestation is amazing. Orings work well. Dont have any issues like prior models with blades opening. Also use g5 fixed in states that require them.

Slick Tricks. Very sharp, tough, and fly like field points. Love them.

I shoot the rage 2 blades (either the extreme or chisel tip, both work well) for deer and have had great luck. I would stick with the muzzy trocar for elk, especially if that is what you are comfortable with. I bought a few of these as well and they will be on my arrows for elk this fall. Both fly like field points. Amazed by the trocars

I was a G5 striker guy for many years and then I tried the Trocars when they first came out and my long range accuracy increased dramatically. I've taken a deer and an elk with the Trocars recently and both went under 50 yards before expiring. I've heard nothing but good about Slick Tricks as well.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back