• Foil wrap

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Foil boat

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I'm from the east coast and boil my briskets

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bigjay73

What's your favorite way to cook a brisket? I've tried them all, pretty much stick with paper after the first stall if it looks good, no wrap is a close second.

To me a good brisket needs a good bark that's why I go paper when I'm doing a brisket at home. In the bbq competitions I've done my highest scores have came from cooking in a foil pan. Using that method I cook straight on the smoker till it hits around 165 degrees then putting it in a pan with Au jus but with a rack in the pan elevating out of the liquid and finally cover with foil.

I’ve only done a couple. I did foil at the stall and didn’t get the bark I was hoping for. I need to buy some paper just to have it available. Brisket still kinda intimidates me to get it right. Part of that is the price, I just saw one at the site the other day for $150! I just can’t afford for it not to be unreal good at that initial cost

Firstly, buy a whole, untrimmed brisket. Leave a nice thick fat cap on there don't trim it so hard like many videos show. I'm talking a good half inch thick, maybe more towards the end of the flat. Smoke fat side down and let just let her ride until done.

Yep, whole untrimmed is the way to go. $5.99/lb at our local market. I burned $50 worth of grocery points and paid $21 cash. I always save the rewards points for brisket and Boston butts.

I almost feel bad! I got my last couple at $2.99/lb! They just ran another sale at $3.99. I still have one left so I didn't really give much thought to buying another one, especially since it's just the 3 of us here. Whenever I smoke this one a lot will go into the freezer for later.

To me a good brisket needs a good bark that's why I go paper when I'm doing a brisket at home. In the bbq competitions I've done my highest scores have came from cooking in a foil pan. Using that method I cook straight on the smoker till it hits around 165 degrees then putting it in a pan with Au jus but with a rack in the pan elevating out of the liquid and finally cover with foil.
This is how I do mine anymore

I use a foil roasting pan with broth at about 170 degrees. Cover with foil and take to 200. I smoke mine over night and they’re almost always ready to wrap when I get up. Keep er going slow to 200 and rest in a cooler for several hours before slicing. Good stuff…

I have done just shy of 6000lbs of brisket the last 2 years. No trim, 225, foil wrap after 10-12 hrs, get to 202-204, hold at 155 for up to 10hrs if needed

We don't wrap anymore until it comes off the pit; just too messy and we like more bark. Leave it on the pit until about 190, then finish in oven until done (just easier to check frequently) then wrap in foil with a dollop of tallow, wrap in towels, put in ice chest for a few hours.

We don't wrap anymore until it comes off the pit; just too messy and we like more bark. Leave it on the pit until about 190, then finish in oven until done (just easier to check frequently) then wrap in foil with a dollop of tallow, wrap in towels, put in ice chest for a few hours.
I did a couple this way after watching some Goldie videos, came out good except the bottom overcooked some on my grill. I really liked the simplicity

Back