Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Breaks Sheep Hunt Questions- Take 2

Elkwhisper

Guys,

Looking for a little help in putting together another ewe sheep hunt in the Breaks. Last year my wife drew a 680-30 Ewe Tag. Both my wife and daughter enjoy spending time hunting and we always do well on deer for them, but last year was their first "Big Adventure" type hunt. We went into last years hunt with the attitude of, "let's take a nice family camping trip to a cool area we have never been, and see if we happen to find a sheep". We had a great time last year, learned a lot, but didn't end up connecting on a ewe. The access issue was much greater than I had anticipated, and I just couldn't get the girls from a vehicle accessible spot to where the sheep were. We did see some rams and lots of deer, and when I asked the girls if they wanted to try again this year they were excited to try.

So this year my 13 year old daughter holds the 680-31 tag.... other side of the ferry road. We are going to be taking a boat this year to help up our odds and add to some of the fun.

Last year we came in from the north side and hunted what we could get to between Bullwhacker and the ferry. We camped at the Ferry on the north side and it was a great spot.

My question this year is about the road and the ferry landing on the south side.... as we didn't make it over there. We are planning on taking a 5th Wheel camper and jet boat this year and were hoping to be able to come up through Winifred and camp on the south side, and hunt from the boat to get to the North side. For those of you familiar with the area, is the road from Winifred down to the Ferry passable (at least when dry) with the camper and boat? Can we put the boat in on the south side? And is there an area to camp on the south side? I know there is no improved campground there, but is there a decent spot to park the camper to base out of?

We are not looking at this as a high pressure... need to fill the tag, kind of a trip, but if anyone would like to share any knowledge on where we might find some cooperative sheep in that area, feel free to PM me.

Any help is appreciated. I will be sure to take lots of pics (hopefully of smiling girls) and will post a full write up when we get back.

Good hunting guys!

Guys,

Looking for a little help in putting together another ewe sheep hunt in the Breaks. Last year my wife drew a 680-30 Ewe Tag. Both my wife and daughter enjoy spending time hunting and we always do well on deer for them, but last year was their first "Big Adventure" type hunt. We went into last years hunt with the attitude of, "let's take a nice family camping trip to a cool area we have never been, and see if we happen to find a sheep". We had a great time last year, learned a lot, but didn't end up connecting on a ewe. The access issue was much greater than I had anticipated, and I just couldn't get the girls from a vehicle accessible spot to where the sheep were. We did see some rams and lots of deer, and when I asked the girls if they wanted to try again this year they were excited to try.

So this year my 13 year old daughter holds the 680-31 tag.... other side of the ferry road. We are going to be taking a boat this year to help up our odds and add to some of the fun.

Last year we came in from the north side and hunted what we could get to between Bullwhacker and the ferry. We camped at the Ferry on the north side and it was a great spot.

My question this year is about the road and the ferry landing on the south side.... as we didn't make it over there. We are planning on taking a 5th Wheel camper and jet boat this year and were hoping to be able to come up through Winifred and camp on the south side, and hunt from the boat to get to the North side. For those of you familiar with the area, is the road from Winifred down to the Ferry passable (at least when dry) with the camper and boat? Can we put the boat in on the south side? And is there an area to camp on the south side? I know there is no improved campground there, but is there a decent spot to park the camper to base out of?

We are not looking at this as a high pressure... need to fill the tag, kind of a trip, but if anyone would like to share any knowledge on where we might find some cooperative sheep in that area, feel free to PM me.

Any help is appreciated. I will be sure to take lots of pics (hopefully of smiling girls) and will post a full write up when we get back.

Good hunting guys!

Wouldn't take it in one trip could take camper then boat down. How big of camper?just received 2 inches of rain

5th wheel camper... not sure how long. We will have two rigs.. one with the camper and one with the boat. We were thinking of going Thursday, so hopefully it is dried out by then. Would it be better to leave the camper on higher ground, rather that going all the way to the river, and then taking the boat down with the truck daily?

The weather looks like some "showers" on Saturday, but pretty dry until then. Hoping the wind can dry things up between now and then.

Or would it be better to come at it from the Judith Landing side since we will be using the boat?

Wouldn't take it in one trip could take camper then boat down. How big of camper?just received 2 inches of rain

If they got 2" of rain it will take 2 or 3 days for it to dry out.. There is a couple of spots to camp and a place to launch your boat but you might be disturbing sheep hunts on the south side..If you camp up top and run the river you risk not being able to make it to camp if it rains, that hill coming off the river is fairly steep. I had a ram tag on the south side last year and saw quite a few sheep right from the ferry road. Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a good problem to have...

Anyone have info on coming in from the Judith Landing side? I assume the road and camping are better there. Is it reasonable to use the boat from there to get to the sheep?

It is 12 river miles from Judith landing to ferry. The hill to ferry on south side is graveled but steep, bad traction marbles in some spots mud/dirt/ruts in others.

I'm with Miller on keeping the camper up top. That hill is a steep sumbeach.

Judith has great camping / launching BUT its a long haul like captain said.

Danders134 - any photos of your sheep mount?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back