Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bozeman Area Rut

Done Diggin

When is the peak of the rut in the Bozeman MT area? Will the bulls be bugling at the first of the archery season? I have general combo tags for the area and am trying to decide if I should be there for the opener on Labor day weekend or fish for tuna on the Oregon coast. I will be hunting public land not far from town and have no idea how much pressure there will be in the area.

The elk actually don't rut here at all. They usually start herding up in late August and migrate south, down to Colorado to rut.:D

In my opinion it changes year to year and area to area. Could be great action on opening, might not pick up till later.

You know I'll be hunting in the Madisons during that time...yeah you should go fishing! There aren't any elk in Montana. They spend their falls in Florida I heard...hehehehe!

Go fishing for long fins. Way more fun. The elk will be in full rut by the 25th through the first week in October. I have not made it over for albies this year but if I do it will be the second week of September. Good luck

When is the peak of the rut in the Bozeman MT area? Will the bulls be bugling at the first of the archery season? I have general combo tags for the area and am trying to decide if I should be there for the opener on Labor day weekend or fish for tuna on the Oregon coast. I will be hunting public land not far from town and have no idea how much pressure there will be in the area.

LOL You're gonna hear a lot of bugles but most won't be from elk :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, glad to see the BS in MT is just as thick as WA. Looks like the only blood I will be seeing on Labor Day will be washed off with salt water. Might be a different story on Tuesday. Had a herd bull with 24 cows in the backyard tonight

my experience is the 15-25 is about as good as it will get for rutting action in SW MT. They talk some early and later but the majority of the cows will be bred during this 10 days.

Labor day weekend usually sucks, but if you have one located before the season you can probably sneak in and stick an arrow in him.

The pressure around Bozeman? Fuggn ridiculous unless you drive 50-60 miles, then its only half ridiculous. Good luck fishing!

If you want to call one in then the first week. If you want to hear elk bugle back at you and not come in then the second and third week. If you want to call other hunters in, it works all season long and works the best the closer you get to Bozeman.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back