Caribou Gear

Boycott Dick's Sporting goods

Status
Not open for further replies.
so enlighten me...I'm not an AR guy but I was under the impression it was just a semi-auto rifle. now to boycott or not is up to the individual but looking at the rhetoric here is that Dick's doesn't want to have blood on their hands from someone shooting up a school with something purchased at Dick's. so with that logic wouldn't it be best to not sell guns at all?

Around the late 70's early 80's I realized the America I grew up in was dead.

Earlier in the 60's, as a boy I walked down the street, 22 over my shoulder, brick of ammo and bag of cans. The police waved when they drove by.

I grew up where schools taught the constitution and what it meant. Today they teach Heather has two mommies..... The founders knew an educated population was the only defense to our republic. Liberals knew to win, they had to dumb the people down. My how effective they have become.

Then came a period where we gave up real rights. Gave them up without a fight. I was infuriated with the average Joes' ignorance . As I am today. Especially when the public used rights (which they didn't possess ) as an excuse to strip rights that did exist.

I leave you guys to worry about your "hunting rights." And to commend each other for being reasonable gun owners. Applaud Dick's, buy their stocks.
I leave you to further divide yourselves, until incrementelism works against you.
And I wish you all live long enough to have the gvt you deserve, and pray I don't.

Peace out

Every person in America, since day one, can say that. I guarantee your grandparents were saying the same shit man.

Prolly good they don't sell wedding cakes....
You waited long enough....

Way off the mark - this is a decision to completely stop selling something. It is not a decision to stop selling people whose life choices you find distasteful. On the simplest of levels, having a choice who you do business with seems logical, but deciding who to sell wedding cakes to presents the same type of problems as telling black people which fountain they can drink from.

Every person in America, since day one, can say that. I guarantee your grandparents were saying the same shit man.
We were fine until Elvis started doing that hip thingy. Kids these days.

My dad, who was raised a strict Catholic and a very decent human being, left me some very interesting letters about his antics in the late forties. The more things change, the more people stay the same.

Good for Dick's. I bet that will help their business a bit.

Whenever there is a shooting, I always wonder if the victims' loved ones that are big time pro-gun change their view at all. Like if a hardcore NRA dude has his son or daughter get killed by someone with an AR, does his view change? Or is he still just happy to have his own AR?

If my child were killed by a drunk driver, I wouldn't push for a prohibition on the sale of alcohol. I'd probably want cars to be safer. But I can totally see how a person could arrive at the position of gun control advocates, especially after losing a loved one.

I'm not a hardcore NRA guy but I have been a member off/on for several years. Mainly get tired of the incessant calls. I don't use AR-15 type guns so it wouldn't hurt me if they banned them, I just don't think it would end there. Even if we enacted 10 new gun control laws, some nut will find a way. Then after the next high profile shooting would the gun control crowd say "well, we did what we could" and move on?

Could they say no based on the color of their skin or the shape of their nose? No, of course not. I don't think the age requirement will survive the first court challenge. I doubt it will even get that far.

The Civil Rights act of 1964 says you can not discriminate on color, race, religion, sex, or national origin. Doesn't say anything about age. States in recent times have been changing their laws about people who are gay and if they are a protected group. But I have not seen any laws saying age is a discrimination category and a protected class like what the CRA of 1964 protects. But I could be wrong just what I learned in my HR classes.

You waited long enough....

Way off the mark - this is a decision to completely stop selling something. It is not a decision to stop selling people whose life choices you find distasteful. On the simplest of levels, having a choice who you do business with seems logical, but deciding who to sell wedding cakes to presents the same type of problems as telling black people which fountain they can drink from.

That didn't take long...about as off the mark as your assumptive moral permutations.

There are pretty significant differences with the Oregon cake thing. Religion being a big part of it and "artistic/creativity" requirements as well. Those will not apply here and the age discrimination thing will disappear. As it should.

Just more mee too. The store in my area tries to do a little bit of everything outdoors and does nothing well. It's the last place i would consider If I was looking for a firearm of any kind. Not a big deal.

No, politicians are supposed to represent the people that voted them in for our voice in government and if they do a shit job hopefully they get voted out. Dick's is a PRIVATELY owned store they have every right to stop selling products. You aren't even comparing apples and oranges.

^^This^^

Prolly good they don't sell wedding cakes....

LOL TFF

I'm laughing at all the recreational outrage since this has dominated my feed this morning. I wonder why this announcement put so many over the top, when the Sandy Hook one didn't and effected many more stores. It's almost as if we forget the past. Even more funny when folks forget that a business has a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders not someone with internet access. After a quick look Dick's has seen YoY revenue growth of ~10% for the past several year, and a steady increase in same store sales. Clearly this is a tweak to their Sandy Hook changes and those seemed to work well for them. Maybe they should stock some Lululemon in the F&S stores next to the creedmoors.

Around the late 70's early 80's I realized the America I grew up in was dead.

Earlier in the 60's, as a boy I walked down the street, 22 over my shoulder, brick of ammo and bag of cans. The police waved when they drove by.

I grew up where schools taught the constitution and what it meant. Today they teach Heather has two mommies..... The founders knew an educated population was the only defense to our republic. Liberals knew to win, they had to dumb the people down. My how effective they have become.

Then came a period where we gave up real rights. Gave them up without a fight. I was infuriated with the average Joes' ignorance . As I am today. Especially when the public used rights (which they didn't possess ) as an excuse to strip rights that did exist.

I leave you guys to worry about your "hunting rights." And to commend each other for being reasonable gun owners. Applaud Dick's, buy their stocks.
I leave you to further divide yourselves, until incrementelism works against you.
And I wish you all live long enough to have the gvt you deserve, and pray I don't.

Peace out

I can't think of a more appropriate place for this cartoon.

Take-America-Back.jpg

I don't understand why one would boycott Dick's because they choose not to sell something. It's their choice and they are losing out on potential profits from it. Who cares.... Why is this news.... Also you should consider boycotting other places, walmart has stopped selling AR's a few years ago...

I don't understand why one would boycott Dick's because they choose not to sell something.

I have no problem with their decision to stop selling ARs. But their decision to stop selling ANY firearm to folks between 18 and 21 yrs old, THAT I have a lot of fault with.

That didn't take long...about as off the mark as your assumptive moral permutations.

I disagree. How about backing your pot shots from the peanut gallery with some explanation. Also tell me why Dick's decision is different than your business choosing not to sell dishwashers.

rg

I have no problem with their decision to stop selling ARs. But their decision to stop selling ANY firearm to folks between 18 and 21 yrs old, THAT I have a lot of fault with.
Oh... I didn't realize they did that. If that is what the man who lacks a Harley is talking about I will agree with him.

I do not think they are breaking any laws by saying people under 21 cannot buy a firearm. And I really do not think that dicks doing this will change the wording of a law from the 60's. Like stated above their choice to possibly forfeit future sales to those people under 21.

I disagree. How about backing your pot shots from the peanut gallery with some explanation. Also tell me why Dick's decision is different than your business choosing not to sell dishwashers.

rg

Just a guess, but essentially because the peanut gallery is a better perch than being in the mud puddle slinging cowpies

I do not think they are breaking any laws by saying people under 21 cannot buy a firearm. And I really do not think that dicks doing this will change the wording of a law from the 60's. Like stated above their choice to possibly forfeit future sales to those people under 21.

We will find out. I think they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back