Bosworth Gets Letters Calling for Limits on Fat-Assed ATV Riders...

JoseCuervo

Another day, and more calls for limits on the Fat-Assed crowd. And since Bosworth has already said the Fat-Assed crowd is one of his top concerns, hopefully he will respond to the overwhelming groundswell of support for limits.

GROUPS CALL FOR NATIONAL OFF-ROAD VEHICLE LIMITS

Over the last month, U.S. Forest Service Chief Dale Bosworth has received three separate letters pressing the agency for strong new rules limiting off-road vehicles in national forests. In March, 75 scientists and researchers from 25 universities wrote to Chief Bosworth urging him to ensure that new off-road vehicle rules safeguard natural resources and are based on abundant scientific research documenting the impacts of unmanaged off-road vehicle use on soils, water and air quality, wildlife, habitat, vegetation and other natural resources.

On April 14, nearly 300 conservation, recreation, religious and other groups from 39 states sent a similar letter to Bosworth. Among other points, the groups urged Bosworth to:

ï Establish a two-year timeline during which roads and off-road vehicle routes must be designated for motorized recreation. After that period ends, motorized recreational use would only be allowed on roads and routes that have been analyzed and then designated for such use.

ï Designate roads and routes for off-road vehicle travel following careful environmental analysis and public input.

ï Authorize off-road vehicle use only to the extent that the Forest Service has the personnel and other resources necessary each year to effectively monitor the impacts on the land, wildlife and other visitors, and enforce the rules.

Finally, on April 30, 60 quiet recreation groups sent their own letter outlining the impacts of unmanaged off-road vehicle use on the experiences of the 150 million Americans that participate in human-powered outdoor recreational activities each year. ìAs human-powered recreationists, we want to make sure that our National Forests stay healthy, protected and wild,î stated Vera Smith, Conservation Director for the Colorado Mountain Club. ìIf the Forest Service is serious about tackling this huge problem, they will not only have to craft rigorous rules but will have to make a serious and long-term commitment to implementing the rules.î

These letters come as the agency decides how to proceed with new regulations limiting where off-road vehicles can ride in the nation's 177 national forests and grasslands. A proposal is likely to be published in the Federal Register in May.

I always use the term "Fat-Assed ATV Riders" when I send in my public comment....

You know my letter gets passed around the table a time or two.....

Careful with all this self back patting going on, you might break your own arm. :D You 2 are the only ones calling for unlimited riding around here. Even the riders on board have agreed that some regulation is required, but you 2 keep posting the all or none garbage.

Ten, "You 2 are the only ones calling for unlimited riding around here...." What??? I thought I was in favor of real limited riding-----like up and down the driveway! :D :D Thanks for the laugh. I'm always surprised at how dumb you can be! :D :D

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back