Boots for broken ankle?

Well, my ankle gets better every day and hunting season gets closer and closer. I've got a few boots ordered so far, I want to give everyone my thoughts on the boots so far. I received the Cabela's Meindl Air Active Backpacker and I picked up some Kenetrek Hardscrabbles at Scheels today. I've only been wearing them on one foot for now and hopefully on both feet in just a couple of weeks.

I liked the Air Active Backpacker at first but the footbed isn't very comfortable for my narrow feet and high arch. I have a 10.5 medium width but the boot just doesn't feel very secure, the 10 was definitely way too small though. It has a nice rigid sole that would be good for steep country but there just isn't much there for ankle support at all given it's an 8" tall boot. These are definitely a backpacker boot (not a hunting boot) and meant for someone with good strong ankles. These boots might be a lot better with a really thick sock and Meindl Perfekt footbed or a footbed from Lathrop and Sons but I'm going to rule these out since they don't have the ankle support I'm looking for.

s7_818478_008_01

I tried on the Kenetrek Mountain extreme and the Hardscrabbles. I was really impressed and both of these boots fit my feet extremely well and felt good immediately. The build quality is far ahead of the Meindl Backpacker. I like the Hardscrabbles over the Mountain Extreme just b/c they are a 7" boot, and I was surprised at how much ankle support these provided. I'm just not a fan of really high boots, I'm used to hunting in low to med top shoes/hiking shoes. Laced up, these feel like a natural extension to my feet. I have only two minor gripes with these boots. They need just a tad more arch support and they are a little snug on the tops of my feet near the toes, not overly so but questionable. I can still wiggle my toes but wonder if I'll get hot spots between my ankle and toes.

KE-420-HK.jpg

I'd like to try a Lathrop and Sons footbed for comfort and arch support but wonder if that will make things even worse for toe room?
Anyone else rockin' Kenetreks with Lathrop & Sons Synergy footbed?

I should have the Meindl Denalis in the mail in the next day or two. I'll be in Bozeman on 8/2/14 and also plan to try on Schnees and actually get fitted correctly at Kenetrek. Hopefully, I can round up some Lowa Tibets here soon as well.

Last edited:
I broke my ankle 6 years ago on a blackpowder hunt. I really wish I could tell you it was from a wicked mountain fall or something like that, but I was infact walking across a alfalfa field watching a few deer on the side of a hill and didn't see the badger hole infront of me until I was buried knee deep in it.

So, after surgery and healing I did get the OK from the doc to hunt later in the year, I used the ASO speed lacer ankle brace, thing is awesome. Fits under any shoe/boot and really hold the ankle steady. It's now thrown into my hunting gear just in case.

I got that aso speed lacer since the PT lady recommended it. It is not very comfortable and I can't imagine wearing that thing with a boot. Seems like it would instantly give me blisters or hot spots.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back