Boots for broken ankle?

WyOpitz

So I broke my fibula and I am 2 weeks post-op, titanium plate and 5 screws. According to my orthopedic doc, I have 4-6 more weeks of non-weight bearing then another 2-4 weeks in my "ortho-boot". I got the go ahead from him to hunt this September for both mule deer and elk (drew a special archery-only elk tag for the big horns in 38). I won't be able to hunt hard but I will be able to hunt nonetheless.

I have been doing a lot of research and like a lot of boots but fear I will regret buying since I will have just a few weeks to break in. I'm wondering if you guys have any recommendations for a great boot with good ankle support and fast break in. I really like to lowa Tibet but fear they might be too stiff in the sole, I like the Cabelas Meindl lineup (Denali, perfekt hiker, alaskan) , hanwag, zamberlan. any help would be much appreciated. Budget is about $450 max which should cover most brands. I have a narrow foot with a high arch.

Thanks!

P. S. I have read pretty much every thread here on boots.

I have a pair of Tibets and hunter gtx, I have a suspect left ankle and can't wear anything shorter. They give great ankle support. The sole is stiff for sure compared to danners I used previously. On flatter ground the danners were a bit more comfortable. However, in the mountains it's not even close. Very easy to stay on the edge of the boot and not feel wobbly in the ankle at all. My ankles/feet were the only thing that didn't hurt after hauling my elk out last year. Break in was minimal, wore em both on 2-3 half day hunts, my feet were a little sore but not much, had hot spots on both heels but no blisters. After the 3rd wearing they have been fine, no foot or heel problems. I did put super feet green insoles in both boots after the first hike and they seemed to fix my heel hot spot and foot pain right away. The "new boot stiffness" was gone after a few more miles. I'd guess 8-10 miles break in was what they took. No experience with your other choices

I had surgery on my ankle in March, and pretty much expected that I would be sitting out bear season based on what others who had the same surgery were saying. Fortunately, I got the chance to try out Kenetrek's new Orthopedic boots(I don't think they are on their website yet, so I'd call about them). I was in the hills much sooner than I expected.

They aren't an ortho boot like the one you will have to use and I had to hobble around on, basically they are built much like their Mountain Extreme series, but they have built in hard plastic stays. Its like having a hard ankle brace built into an incredibly comfortable mountain boot. I think they would be a great option for you.

If you'd like more detailed info feel free to PM me.

I've got two screws in my ankle and lost some of the range in the joint and I absolutely love Kenetrek Mt Extremes. They give me more ankle stability than any boot I've ever worn. They seem kind of overpriced for a blue collar guy but I think they are worth it!

I'd give the folks at Lathrop and Sons a call. Before they got into the hunting boot biz, they built medical orthotics

I broke my lower leg last July and had surgery with a plate and 5 screws put in. My PT had me buy a ASO speed lacer ankle brace: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7vq45gybm4_e

This brace fits well in my boots but you may need to buy larger shoe laces. Unbelievable support and I still wear it whenever I am hiking. You might want to try this brace before buying a pair of new boots.

Also, shoots straight put me onto eating pineapple to help the healing process. Google the health benefits of pineapple for details. I was eating 1/2 a pineapple a day and was off crutches and out of the walking boot less than 6 weeks after surgery. Get a good PT and do their recommended exercises!! I also bought trekking poles. I was 67 years old at the time but the doctor said my healing time was at least 3 weeks shorter than expected.

Thanks guys, I'll check out those kenetreks and that ankle brace. I have done a lot of research on supplements, I haven't heard about the pineapples though. I've seen a lot of support for vitamin C as this is essential for collagen formation for the initial stages of bone healing.

@Redwood, what exactly do you hate about the meindl boots? Fit, function, durability? Thanks!

I think I'm going to order quite a few boot to try and pray the wife doesn't look at the credit card statement until I return what I don't like.

.....another bone healing tip...... Bone repair is predicated on inflammation, so taking anti-inflammatory meds like Motrin (ibuprofen) Naprosyn (naproxen, Aleve) will SLOW DOWN the speed of healing. Tylenol, Tramadol and narcotic meds will not reduce the rate of bone repair.

You broke only your fibula? And how long does the Doc want you down? Wow, I broke my ankle (few screws and K wires) and my fibula and they didn't even bother to repair the fibula (not weight-bearing).

Yeah, just the fibula. He didn't think it needed surgery at first but I had some ligament damage to the opposite side of my ankle and he didn't think the fracture will align my ankle correctly unless it was plated. I have a total of 6 weeks (4 more weeks) of Non-weight bearing then this boot for 4-6 more weeks.

.....another bone healing tip...... Bone repair is predicated on inflammation, so taking anti-inflammatory meds like Motrin (ibuprofen) Naprosyn (naproxen, Aleve) will SLOW DOWN the speed of healing. Tylenol, Tramadol and narcotic meds will not reduce the rate of bone repair.

Yeah, no NSAIDs for me. Luckily, I've been able to keep the pain away with APAP 1000mg once or twice daily.

I like my Meindl Denalis. My Kennetrek Mountain Extremes are decent but I get the dreaded heal blisters wearing them in any steep terrain. Of course I got heal blisters last week with my Denali's walking through deep snow on a 16 mile round trip hike. I guess I'm just a sucker for heal blisters! At least in boots with very stiff soles in steep terrain. Both boots give plenty of ankle support.

That's what worries about the kenetreks since I had that issue with my last boot. I just ordered the Meindl Denali and the Meindl air active backpacker to try out for now. I am gonna try the kenetrek, Lowa and Zamberlan in a few weeks at semi-local retailers.I just hope the titanium plate isn't bothersome or noticeable when wearing boots this fall.

I have the Meindl perfect hunter and the Alaska hiker. Love both. I got the perfects after I broke my foot a few years ago and have no regrets.

@nbell, I liked that alaskan Hunter but feared it would be too stiff of a sole for all around hunting. But would be a great boot in the mountains. Is it uncomfortable on flat ground to walk in? Like a ski boot?

Schnees beartooths. great boot. easy break in. great service and warranty. within your budget.

I haven't found it to be too uncomfortable. The perfects are better in the all around. I primarily wear the alaskas on the breaks of the snake river where it's real steep and rocky. They did seem to take a little while to break in where the perfects felt great on day 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back