Boot Height?

MThuntr

Would it be better to go with a taller boot or a shorter boot?

I completely destroyed a pair of Danner hiking boots and lost confidence in a pair of very comfy Danner Military boots during a recent 8 day trek in the Badger-Two Medicine area, Water and muck combined with rocks made for an uncomfortable time so I pitched them and am now in the search for a new pair(s) of boots.

I'm looking at the top brands (Lowa, Crispi, Kenetrek, Hanwag, Meindl, etc) and plan to try on as many as I can but I'm curious about the height of boots. I personally prefer a taller boot but the added weight can make a difference at the end of a day. These boots will definitely need to be universal (different conditions from desert dry to mucky) because $ is tight.

What Height would you choose?

I hunt in glorified running shoes (Inov-8 390 and La Sportiva Crossover GTX) so I am a big believer in the lightweight route.

It's all what your preference is. I haven't worn a low pair for a long time because I hate stopping every few hundred yards to shake debris out of my boots (I know that can be solved by wearing a pair of gaiters). Plus, I've always liked the extra ankle support a taller pair of boots gives me. That being said, after a long day on the mountain I can certainly see why some guys like the "glorified running shoes."

8" uninsulated. Quality ones are usually fairly light and offer good support. I can't stand picking grass seeds out of my ankles, I hate getting snow in my boot, and when I cross streams I don't want to hop from rock to rock even on low stuff. With a quality sock, I use them into late season hunts depending on how much ground I feel I my have to cover.

Vasque Breeze GTX hikers are great. I've had lots of boots over the years including the expensive ones. The uninsulated 7" with Gortex have been my favorites for September archery in the mountains. Very light but well built. I put in a month every Fall hunting in the mountains and these are great. About $170. Wear them hiking for 3 months in the rugged Arizona volcanic rock mts all winter as well. Wear them working in the woods at home all summer as well. Considering trying them for dancing next..........

Where I mostly hunt it can be very steep and rugged or not too bad. All depends what side of the hill I'm on. So, I error on the side of caution and always wear 8-10" boots. They can be unnecessary, but I like the support if I end up on the wrong side of the hill or have to pack a critter out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back