Boot Dressing

Jwill

So what's best? I've been using nikwax, but it wears off with a couple hours of hard use. Was thinking about the Lowa waterproofing and cream or the Kenetrek boot wax. Looking for something to waterproof & preserve leather, be compatible with Gore-tex, and be somewhat abrasion resistant.

I bought a pair of Perfekt Extreme boots from Cabela's and they said to use Obenauf''s leather preservative. I did, and really like the stuff. I put the boots on the boot dryer so they're warm and then apply the cream with my bare hand so that the cream stays warm, and it works real good. I have been hunting moose for 27 days so far and have been wading creeks and swamps and have never had wet feet yet unless I got over the boot tops. I have only had to reapply once in 27 days, and that was after opening weekend when I was wet from head to toe all weekend long. I like the stuff, and the boots too. Those boots are Gore-tex also.

Obenauf's on my boots (regardless if they have gore-tex or not). I used to use Montana Pitch Blend until some firefighting buddies had me try Obenauf's. I kind of enjoyed the smell of Montana Pitch though.

I really want an answer to this question too.

Started using Sno Seal last year and have really liked it for waterproofing.
I've had the most better luck with Sno Seal than nickwax which is always pushed by the shoe people. They insist Sno Seal will ruin the leather by allowing dirt to get into the leather (and my wife does too). The shoe salesmen pointed to the cracks in my old boots as proof, but those boots had so many miles on them that the tread worn was off anyway. I don't know if it is really a problem...

I'm using nickwax on my Lowa Tibets as a comparison, but it doesn't last as long. They are on their second year and I see cracks starting to form at the toe creases so I'm starting to wonder if it makes any difference. Would love to know...

Last edited:
I've found you get pretty boots any good water repellency that lasts. This stuff actually penetrates the leather and doesn't goop up like a lot of the other products out there..
Purty boots are one thing ;) but how long does it shed water after they have had a little trail dust on them?

I use Obenaufs or Nixwax. Usually use the water based wax over the teflon...

Snowseal supposedly will soften the leather on some boots. I haven't used it on any of my "mountaineering" type boots but use it on uppers on pack style boots regularly.

As far as cracks... leather getting wet and drying out causes them to crack. Has nothing to do with putting any sort of dressing on them. The dressing will help slow down the inevitable, but not much. I find the goretex usually wears out before the leather has issues.

I've been using Obenhaufs for a long time on all my boots

As far as cracks... leather getting wet and drying out causes them to crack. Has nothing to do with putting any sort of dressing on them. The dressing will help slow down the inevitable, but not much. I find the goretex usually wears out before the leather has issues.

The gortex doesn't last very long for me either - I'd go broke if I threw my boots away when the gortex failed, (although my Tibets seem better than normal). That is mostly the reason I, like the OP, need something to keep them waterproof.

I've used the Granger G-Wax and the Kennetrek boot wax. They seemed to be about the same to me. Both last quite a while and seem to do a really good job.

I've used sno seal nikwax mink oil and a handful of others
Currently I use obenauf's and feel it works better than any other treatment I've found. Nikwax and sno seal are definitely my least favorite. Nikwax lasted about 5 minutes before it soaked through.

I used to use sno-seal extensively. I now use nor-v-gen. Seems to last a bit longer.

I started using Huberds shoe grease in the early 80's on my first pair of Whites and still use it on everything leather. It conditions and waterproofs great.

I like Obenaufs but found lately I'm using Kenetreks with great results. You can just keep putting on and the leather just soaks it up. The two formulas seem very close in my opinion. We use Lexol on our horse saddles and leather straps. Not sure why I don't give it a try for my boots:confused:

When you guys say Obenauf's are you referring to the "water shield" product? Or the LP? Or?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back