Caribou Gear

Books for new hunters. Your suggestions.

I'm totally digging this thread! James Riley thanks for the quotes, Meditations on Hunting has been ordered and I loved the quote in bold.

Big Bucks the Benoit Way
Benoit Bucks

When I first got into hunting as a kid, I discovered the Benoits and the books documenting their hunts and tactics. I really should go back and read them again. Got to meet Lane a few years back at the Wisconsin Deer and Turkey Expo, and he was kind enough to sit and drink beer with us for about an hour. Broke my heart when he passed.

I'm totally digging this thread! James Riley thanks for the quotes, Meditations on Hunting has been ordered and I loved the quote in bold.

That quote hit home to me, synthesizing the hunt as no mere diversion, or "sport", or simply living; but, rather, total immersion in life itself; a oneness with "All". I think that oneness is what happens when we die. We can have it now, when we hunt; when hunting is done right. But it is fleeting.

Big Bucks the Benoit Way
Benoit Bucks

When I first got into hunting as a kid, I discovered the Benoits and the books documenting their hunts and tactics. I really should go back and read them again. Got to meet Lane a few years back at the Wisconsin Deer and Turkey Expo, and he was kind enough to sit and drink beer with us for about an hour. Broke my heart when he passed.

If you likes those, you should check out Larry Benoit's book, How to Bag the Biggest Buck of Your Life. Written in the 70's, it's a classic here in New England. Also look into Hal Blood's books, similar style of hunting, good stories for a northern deer hunter/tracker.

Ditto on Val Geist's books!
I have always looked to science and real world observations of wildlife to put my life & goals in perspective.
When I was a kid and asked Grandpa a question, he would hand me a book 9 out of 10 times before saying anything....
From Muir to Roosevelt to Leopold to Gasset. Gowdy,Zumbro,Curtis,Long & Peterson.
"Look at your question from all perspectives" he would say.
I have Grandpa's Zane Grey , Stewart Edward White & John Muirs original writings in my bookcase.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back