Bone-in steaks?

Jbotto

I was recently watching the YT video of Randy’s 2019 Nevada Mule Deer hunt with Scott Jones and noticed Scott was cooking up some bone-in venison steaks. I just wondered how common these cuts are as I’ve only ever done boneless steaks from the back straps or cut from roasts. How many people take the whole back leg like this and cut steaks out of this?

Attachments

• B07733F9-DD84-43EA-A087-C8C00B0B381B.png
    B07733F9-DD84-43EA-A087-C8C00B0B381B.png
    966 KB · Views: 35
The butcher I’ve used the last few years in PA cuts the rear legs that way if you don’t ask for them to be cut differently. I’m not a fan of the rear legs cut bone-in because you are essentially left with three different pieces of meat, with different levels of tenderness and different cook times, all attached in one steak. I prefer my steaks from the rear legs cut from the different muscle groups in the rear leg and have started to ask the butcher to cut them like that. Hope that makes sense.

The butcher I’ve used the last few years in PA cuts the rear legs that way if you don’t ask for them to be cut differently. I’m not a fan of the rear legs cut bone-in because you are essentially left with three different pieces of meat, with different levels of tenderness and different cook times, all attached in one steak. I prefer my steaks from the rear legs cut from the different muscle groups in the rear leg and have started to ask the butcher to cut them like that. Hope that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense to me. That is what I was most perplexed about. As each of those muscle groups are just a bit different. I might end up trying it with next years deer but just as an experiment. I would think they’d have to be aged well and marinaded for a while to end up being tender.

+1
AA.jpg

Bone in chops are the only way to go if you use a processor. This requires them to pay extra attention to your request, hopefully eliminating some risk of getting community meat "butterfly steaks". And bone adds flavor.

I was recently watching the YT video of Randy’s 2019 Nevada Mule Deer hunt with Scott Jones and noticed Scott was cooking up some bone-in venison steaks. I just wondered how common these cuts are as I’ve only ever done boneless steaks from the back straps or cut from roasts. How many people take the whole back leg like this and cut steaks out of this?

Many years ago, when we still had our deer commercially processed, we got the bone-in stuff. When I first started to process my own, I had a band saw and I got tired of the blade being dulled so badly by deer/elk bones.

I have totally boned everything since. Many times, it was all done on the side of hill somewhere.

Always chops I don’t care if I’m 2 miles from the truck the whole spine comes back with me. I’ve never boned out an animal lucky on most the elk hunts had my father in-law with his horses. Bone in chops only way to go for me. With slaughtering and butchering 12-20 lambs a year we hang for a week then run threw the bandsaw I’ve been spoiled. To each there own but it’s the way my grandpa taught all of us how to take an animal from life to dinner.

Always chops I don’t care if I’m 2 miles from the truck the whole spine comes back with me. I’ve never boned out an animal lucky on most the elk hunts had my father in-law with his horses. Bone in chops only way to go for me. With slaughtering and butchering 12-20 lambs a year we hang for a week then run threw the bandsaw I’ve been spoiled. To each there own but it’s the way my grandpa taught all of us how to take an animal from life to dinner.
I grew up in a similar way except my dad’s bandsaw ran through pork. It’s just something I’ve always been able to separate doing boneless cuts on deer.

Our TN processor does them this way with whitetails. I never thought about the different muscle groups involved in these cuts, but it makes sense. I like to marinate these and cook them fast at about 2 minutes per side for medium rare.

Back