Caribou Gear

Boats

It should have a bilge pump situated at the lowest point in your bilge. Do you have a bilge switch on the console?
Yes, however, when I open the caps(?) that allow me access/to view - it's basically empty in that area. Interesting enough, if it reaches the bilge, the rain water would exit the drain plug.

@Sytes I can't tell from the one photo if you went with the extended transom. Seems like a no brainer but wondering if you didn't go that way if you wish you had. Also, how happy are you with the full soft top instead of going hard top?

@seeth07 @Sytes I can't tell from the one photo if you went with the extended transom. Seems like a no brainer but wondering if you didn't go that way if you wish you had. Also, how happy are you with the full soft top instead of going hard top?

Soft vs hard top: we were advised if frequent ugly weather, work purpose driven intent with rear boat wheel console for collecting pots, etc, the hard top is the direction to go.
If for recreation purpose, fishing, friends, etc, soft top is ideal.

We sat in both before asking @Duck-Slayer to take a look at one that fit our interest, on our behalf.

The soft top versatility allows us a full open boat and also allows us complete shelter in ugly weather or a baking sun.
Soft top has sides and a rear with a zippered rear door that can be rolled up if to keep the rear door open.
For our use, it gives us the best of both worlds.
Both keep a full bed that stays under cover of a fully enclosed unit.

It's great to have the versatility and takes maybe five minutes to add the sides and another minute or two to add the rear.

Fantastic soft top use, for us, mostly with the top only.

Full transom as you say, is a no brainier if money is available.

@seeth07 @Sytes I can't tell from the one photo if you went with the extended transom. Seems like a no brainer but wondering if you didn't go that way if you wish you had. Also, how happy are you with the full soft top instead of going hard top?

Soft vs hard top: we were advised if frequent ugly weather, work purpose driven intent with rear boat wheel console for collecting pots, etc, the hard top is the direction to go.
If for recreation purpose, fishing, friends, etc, soft top is ideal.

We sat in both before asking @Duck-Slayer to take a look at one that fit our interest, on our behalf.

The soft top versatility allows us a full open boat and also allows us complete shelter in ugly weather or a baking sun.
Soft top has sides and a rear with a zippered rear door that can be rolled up if to keep the rear door open.
For our use, it gives us the best of both worlds.
Both keep a full bed that stays under cover of a fully enclosed unit.

It's great to have the versatility and takes maybe five minutes to add the sides and another minute or two to add the rear.

Fantastic soft top use, for us, mostly with the top only.

Full transom as you say, is a no brainier if money is available.
What is it like for taking down the soft top? I would want to keep the back support bar with the rod holders always left. That is feasible right? Can you remove the sides of the top easily and/or the back?

With the full enclosure, rear door rolled up.

The video is not designed to showcase the enclosure though you get the idea of the rear open.

Full enclosure, no wind whatsoever, completely seals and no flapping @ full speed 40mph w/ 200hp honda
The rear flops maybe minimally by rear wind draft at full speed. I don't recall. It doesn't stand out for me to comment. It seals great aside from the bottom. Though it stays pretty snug. The fitting is ideal.
10293.jpeg

10298.jpeg

With the full enclosure, rear door rolled up.

The video is not designed to showcase the enclosure though you get the idea of the rear open.

Full enclosure, no wind whatsoever, completely seals and no flapping @ full speed 40mph w/ 200hp honda
The rear flops maybe minimally by rear wind draft at full speed. I don't recall. It doesn't stand out for me to comment. It seals great aside from the bottom. Though it stays pretty snug. The fitting is ideal.
View attachment 285768

View attachment 285769
What made you go with the Sea Runner vs some of their other models? What was the feature of this model that stood out or put you into this model.

What is it like for taking down the soft top? I would want to keep the back support bar with the rod holders always left. That is feasible right? Can you remove the sides of the top easily and/or the back?
There are three vertical rod holders behind both seats (six total).

Not sure I understand what you mean by the back support bar.
While the top only or with sides, no other unit is adversely effected. With the rear wall down, I believe it makes the six vertical rod holders useless.

Taking down the top is simple though to have the top down while using the boat is not really practical. It lays back, still hinge pinned and you have to step over to access the open area. Or, as we've done, we pitch it forward and strap it to the hard sided window area and all is well with use if weather or sun becomes crappy.
Folding it away is simple. Unsnap from the hard window area and it folds back. A case included and it stores just fine.

There are three vertical rod holders behind both seats (six total).

Not sure I understand what you mean by the back support bar.
While the top only or with sides, no other unit is adversely effected. With the rear wall down, I believe it makes the six vertical rod holders useless.

Taking down the top is simple though to have the top down while using the boat is not really practical. It lays back, still hinge pinned and you have to step over to access the open area. Or, as we've done, we pitch it forward and strap it to the hard sided window area and all is well with use if weather or sun becomes crappy.
Folding it away is simple. Unsnap from the hard window area and it folds back. A case included and it stores just fine.
from this photo:
1690566877851.png

What is it like with that rod holder bar setup to take the top off so its fully open while the back bar still remains in place with all the rods in it?

Oh, at 6'01, I can stand fully upright if that helps.

We wanted the 210 as it gives enough space for a few fishing. 19 is a tad too short.

Sea runner was reviewed by critics as valued for coastal use over the other models and we maxed out our new found budget to fit with the most we could gain for coastal (rough water) use.

This area is where my rookie reviews were dependant on others. I'm not coastal experienced enough to really answer the technical use... Wish I could be more help on this topic.

Our intend is fulfilled though and the experienced information from @Salmonchaser and others was invaluable. We've had it in rough water of Champlain Lakes and had comfort far beyond a bass boat - haha! We e taken off the coast of Maine and it works and gave us comfort for use.

Our plan is to return to Flathead area where Flathead lake and Lake Koocanusa would we the large bodies that this would manage with comfort we have a boat designed for what the large lakes can throw at us. Or, we may find ourselves living in Peugeot Sound, WA or off Bangor, Maine area and again know we have a boat designed for this use.

Far too long, I've pushed a simple jon/bass boat beyond it's capability or been held back because it would not fit our ability.

Now? Well my wife's less likely to collect my life insurance. haha! Somehow, she's okay with that. 🙂

from this photo:
View attachment 285773

What is it like with that rod holder bar setup to take the top off so its fully open while the back bar still remains in place with all the rods in it?
Ohh I see. That is an addition we did not purchase. I can not speak to that though my experience, I believe when I viewed one with that top, the soft top held the same principle install and breakdown w/o any effect on the framed bar. That's a good view. The side bars on port and starboard, same.

I thought of buying that for the rods and mostly for a radar unit base mount. We opted not, at this time. I believe at the time and a boat we found that Matt viewed on our behalf held everything we wanted, less that top rod/radar bracket.

Good aspect, If we want at a later time (say we move to the ocean) I can still buy and as I understand, base installation.

Oh, at 6'01, I can stand fully upright if that helps.

We wanted the 210 as it gives enough space for a few fishing. 19 is a tad too short.

Sea runner was reviewed by critics as valued for coastal use over the other models and we maxed out our new found budget to fit with the most we could gain for coastal (rough water) use.

This area is where my rookie reviews were dependant on others. I'm not coastal experienced enough to really answer the technical use... Wish I could be more help on this topic.

Our intend is fulfilled though and the experienced information from @Salmonchaser and others was invaluable. We've had it in rough water of Champlain Lakes and had comfort far beyond a bass boat - haha! We e taken off the coast of Maine and it works and gave us comfort for use.

Our plan is to return to Flathead area where Flathead lake and Lake Koocanusa would we the large bodies that this would manage with comfort we have a boat designed for what the large lakes can throw at us. Or, we may find ourselves living in Peugeot Sound, WA or off Bangor, Maine area and again know we have a boat designed for this use.

Far too long, I've pushed a simple jon/bass boat beyond it's capability or been held back because it would not fit our ability.

Now? Well my wife's less likely to collect my life insurance. haha! Somehow, she's okay with that. 🙂
Lake Michigan can get outright nasty at times, just as bad as coastal water. Right now, we have a large nice pontoon boat setup for a lot of the trolling we do - including Lake Michigan. The problem is that we are for sure limited on the days we can safely fish the big pond as a result. We are in a good spot financially now and we have been thinking that maybe its time to significantly upgrade our fishing vessel and I see the Hewes (especially one setup with a soft top) as being the perfect vessel for everything we would do with it. We love the pontoon for the ample room in the back of the boat and its 8' feet wide with a high "gunnel". I'm not familiar with an inland fishing boat that offers that same back of boat layout. If you are a trolling, you greatly appreciate that.

Lake Michigan can get outright nasty at times, just as bad as coastal water. Right now, we have a large nice pontoon boat setup for a lot of the trolling we do - including Lake Michigan. The problem is that we are for sure limited on the days we can safely fish the big pond as a result. We are in a good spot financially now and we have been thinking that maybe its time to significantly upgrade our fishing vessel and I see the Hewes (especially one setup with a soft top) as being the perfect vessel for everything we would do with it. We love the pontoon for the ample room in the back of the boat and its 8' feet wide with a high "gunnel". I'm not familiar with an inland fishing boat that offers that same back of boat layout. If you are a trolling, you greatly appreciate that.
Agree. Buddy has a pontoon and the floor space is fantastic! Especially with all of our scuba gear, etc. When we use the Hewescraft after using the pontoon, floorspace disappears significantly though the freedom to explore / dive in Maine made the choice of the two a no brainier!

Also, seems the pontoon height out of water and size setting. On the pontoons made it a sailboat in comparison to the Hewescraft.

If questioning whether to go with the transom or not, this was a sure win! Get the transom.

Agree. Buddy has a pontoon and the floor space is fantastic! Especially with all of our scuba gear, etc. When we use the Hewescraft after using the pontoon, floorspace disappears significantly though the freedom to explore / dive in Maine made the choice of the two a no brainier!

Also, seems the pontoon height out of water and size setting. On the pontoons made it a sailboat in comparison to the Hewescraft.

If questioning whether to go with the transom or not, this was a sure win! Get the transom.
Yes, I was already pretty deadset on that item and its one of the main drives to look at a Hewes as opposed to anything else. Not many offer the extended transom.

Yes, I was already pretty deadset on that item and its one of the main drives to look at a Hewes as opposed to anything else. Not many offer the extended transom.
Also, with the transom it includes the trim unit. You can raise/lower each side individually or both together... I believe it's not available w/o the transom though I could be wrong.

IMG_20230728_143052962_HDR.jpg

For duck and moose hunting up here in Alaska, I had 3 criteria:
1) Small enough that I can get it unstuck easily running solo
2) Enough capacity and power for hauling a bull moose and camp
3) Jet and prop, tunnel hull.

I went with a 16foot 50 inch Allweld with 60 hp four stroke.
I run the prop 90 percent of the time, jet for shallow gravel bar streams.
No major problems in 15 years of running. Replaced the starter which was easy.
Changed the oil and lower unit lube after each hunting season.
Moose_boat.jpg

Last edited:
For duck and moose hunting up here in Alaska, I had 3 criteria:
1) Small enough that I can get it unstuck easily running solo
2) Enough capacity and power for hauling a bull moose and camp
3) Jet and prop, tunnel hull.

I went with a 16foot 50 inch Allweld with 60 hp four stroke.
I run the prop 90 percent of the time, jet for shallow gravel bar streams.
No major problems in 15 years of running. Replaced the starter which was easy.
Changed the oil and lower unit lube after each hunting season.
View attachment 285868
Same setting as an earlier boat use I ran with early 2000's..

1696519648136.png

You have really stepped up with the new boat. Anymore nice island-hopping, eye-popping photos lately?
More along the lines of, breaking it in... Hah!

Boating along @ 20mph in 25' of water and suddenly, Bam!

Buddy and I looked at each other both with a "WT-Heck?" expression...

I have a hummingbird chip for the lakes in the provincial fishing area that's saved my bacon countless times knowing the topography.
In this case, no topography...

Middle of the open body of water, routing along a prior day path, hit a topped off tree approx 1' underwater!

IMG_20231001_102415307_HDR.jpg

Lessons learned. The lake was originally a massive logging operation in a reasonable land depression they filled in as a reservoir. Great pike fishing around submerged stumps in shallow water though didn't expect a standing topped tree underwater.

We tied off a plastic container so hopefully others don't incur the same experience.

An island with camp site. Not near as amazing as another thread pic of Champlain Lake Vermont island camp location though intent was a buddy and I fishing.

IMG_20230919_130719064_HDR.jpg

It's been a blast for all activities though the $ is a constant factor, especially operating as a rookie at the helm. Haha!

We had a blast non stop catching little hammerheads on to 7-10#ers.
Humor and fun...

IMG_20230919_173739622_HDR~2.jpg

Had the opportunity to try out the high pressure spray nozzle attachment and easily hosed off our platform.

Had some amazing pike tempura coated evening edibles along with usual fire pit brats.

So, I figure, I'll weld a piece of aluminum onto the portion I snapped, and attach this item found with decent reviews ($190$)...

Screenshot_20231005-121003-673.png

Purchased a new Solar7 SS prop, ($450$) and a "SOLAS Rubex 107 Hub Kit"... and, we hope to make one last trek this year with a friend and his family.

It's been a blast, education, and expense.

That's rookie boating 101...

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_102422472_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231001_102422472_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
More along the lines of, breaking it in... Hah!

Boating along @ 20mph in 25' of water and suddenly, Bam!

Buddy and I looked at each other both with a "WT-Heck?" expression...

I have a hummingbird chip for the lakes in the provincial fishing area that's saved my bacon countless times knowing the topography.
In this case, no topography...

Middle of the open body of water, routing along a prior day path, hit a topped off tree approx 1' underwater!

View attachment 295389

Lessons learned. The lake was originally a massive logging operation in a reasonable land depression they filled in as a reservoir. Great pike fishing around submerged stumps in shallow water though didn't expect a standing topped tree underwater.

We tied off a plastic container so hopefully others don't incur the same experience.

An island with camp site. Not near as amazing as another thread pic of Champlain Lake Vermont island camp location though intent was a buddy and I fishing.

View attachment 295390

It's been a blast for all activities though the $ is a constant factor, especially operating as a rookie at the helm. Haha!

We had a blast non stop catching little hammerheads on to 7-10#ers.
Humor and fun...

View attachment 295391

Had the opportunity to try out the high pressure spray nozzle attachment and easily hosed off our platform.

Had some amazing pike tempura coated evening edibles along with usual fire pit brats.

So, I figure, I'll weld a piece of aluminum onto the portion I snapped, and attach this item found with decent reviews ($190$)...

View attachment 295392

Purchased a new Solar7 SS prop, ($450$) and a "SOLAS Rubex 107 Hub Kit"... and, we hope to make one last trek this year with a friend and his family.

It's been a blast, education, and expense.

That boat
Thanks for taking us along on another great boating outing. But sorry about the prop ... ouch in $o many ways!
Keep on cruising and sharing your captain's log, with the great pics.

Back