Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

BLM and Forest Service Campsites and Facilities Closed

WyoDoug

Something for everyone to consider if you planned on using BLM or Forrest Service campsites and facilities at all this year for hunting. They are "closed" meaning that while there are no gates or locks on the campgrounds, the facilities are closed. Not sure if running water is available or not but don't hurt to try if you are their. Developed campsites are not available because technically BLM is closed and with FS, I think most of them are closed on the COVID-19 thingie too. You can camp on BLM and/or FS lands, just be aware that developed facilities will not be available and there will be no one to keep them clean.

Something for everyone to consider if you planned on using BLM or Forrest Service campsites and facilities at all this year for hunting. They are "closed" meaning that while there are no gates or locks on the campgrounds, the facilities are closed. Not sure if running water is available or not but don't hurt to try if you are their. Developed campsites are not available because technically BLM is closed and with FS, I think most of them are closed on the COVID-19 thingie too. You can camp on BLM and/or FS lands, just be aware that developed facilities will not be available and there will be no one to keep them clean.

Is this specific to certain areas? Camped at a NF campsite in Utah 5 days ago they are all back up and available around here

Is this specific to certain areas? Camped at a NF campsite in Utah 5 days ago they are all back up and available around here
I am not sure about National Forrest areas.

I was told by the BLM office here in Cheyenne that BLM campsites and facilities are closed nationally and he also told me that included National Forrest lands. Now that is a technicality. You can still camp in the campsites but sites will be unmanned and no one to clean anything. But if the facility has vaults for bathrooms, tap water or that you can still use it. But most areas dump stations will be locked. If not, I don't see why you can't use it. Be aware that no one will be cleaning the facilities and that includes pumping dump stations out.

As for NF areas, I am relying on second hand information. My suggestion is you check before you go.

Spring Bear hunt this year, I spoke w/ the FS about camp locations... Mind you this was early May - they said 1 week from my hunt, the campgrounds were opening. I think you might be mixing dates or, select locations... though a broad stroke for all FS/BLM s a bit off.

I should clarify: there was a camp host and all the facilities were being cleaned/tended to and trash/water/bathrooms were all available, fully open.

Most campgrounds are open in the Custer- Gallatin, Bighorn and Shoshone NF... There’s a few that aren’t open just based on snow conditions.

Campgrounds and facilities are open all over SW MT...may not be fully stocked but they're open and have been for over a month.

I could see a possibility of another round of COVID closures since cases have increased again but who knows for sure.

Campgrounds and facilities are open all over SW MT...may not be fully stocked but they're open and have been for over a month.

I could see a possibility of another round of COVID closures since cases have increased again but who knows for sure.
That's why I suggested checking before you go. My hope is all facilities are completely open across the country by time hunting gets here but I have serious doubts on that. State of Wyoming facilities are open but they do limit size of gathering and require reservations.

Something for everyone to consider if you planned on using BLM or Forrest Service campsites and facilities at all this year for hunting. They are "closed" meaning that while there are no gates or locks on the campgrounds, the facilities are closed.

No, again bad info.... some facilities have been slow to open but most are open or opening up soon that i have been around in last couple weeks. And to say for rest of year is ridiculous.... these are crazy times and i would recommend calling appropiate land manager to verify if your traveling but most are there for your enjoyment. Know of one ranger district that had a outbreak in office so nobody answers but they are still openings camps just not office and have been slow because of it.

Forest_Gump_Character.jpg

You can still camp in the campsites but sites will be unmanned and no one to clean anything.

That's IT, I personally will not camp in any campground that doesn't have an onsite babysitter or somebody to lovingly wipe the toilet seat before my perfect cheeks touch it...I mean, what do they expect we'll do?! We're not savages!

That's IT, I personally will not camp in any campground that doesn't have an onsite babysitter or somebody to lovingly wipe the toilet seat before my perfect cheeks touch it...I mean, what do they expect we'll do?! We're not savages!

Exactly! The Woods ain’t San Francisco.

I camped in FS campgrounds in both Idaho and MT last week and were both open. The toilets were cleaner than the ones at rest areas along the interstate.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back