Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Black Hills 2016

Wild Bill

Had a couple fun weekends hunting and camping in the Black Hills National Forest this spring, and were fortunate enough to take 2 toms between the 4 of us. As most trips do, what can go wrong will. The 1st weekend was beautiful weather but very few turkeys willing to work with us. The 2nd weekend we were camping in snow and my truck died on the way out on Friday night (RIP). The birds were quite a bit more responsive though and with 1 or 2 more breaks we would have all been tagged out. All in all, we had a great time.

DISCLAIMER: 1st time posting pictures and I tried for 15 minutes to get that picture right side up before I gave up. :W:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_2158.jpg
    IMG_2158.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 236
  • image1-2.jpg
    image1-2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 240
  • dan car.jpg
    dan car.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 233
Quite the rig for a grand adventure. Congratulations to you and your posse.

Last edited:
Congrats on a nice bird!

I hunted the hills for the first time this year with a buddy of mine. We hit the snowy, windy weather dead on. I never imagined turkey hunting could be so tough. Here in MN it's pretty dang easy to kill a bird but that did not seem to be the case in the Black Hills. That said, turkey hunting won't be the same around home anymore. I loved the terrain, scenery and, most of all, the ability to hike miles on public land. After 2 1/2 days and 28 miles hiked, I was able to put down my first merriams. My buddy came home empty handed. We can't wait to go back.

Beauty of a bird, nothing like a Merriam. Glad you were able to find one. I'm looking forward to getting out there and doing this hunt.

Quite the rig for a grand adventure. Congratulations to you and your posse.

Quite the rig for sure. We ended up breaking down in Murdo, SD on I90 in the late evening and ran across the Ford dealership owner who was kind (and drunk) enough to loan us the Mercury for the weekend free of charge. You've got to love small town hospitality.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back