Yeti GOBOX Collection

black gold ascent options?

Legendary

After careful consideration I plan on going with the black gold ascent bow sight. I plan on going through sandsarchery.com and customizing it. But since I have never seen one in person im asking for those of you who have it or have shot with it for you opinions on what extras to get on it since pretty much everything is customizable. I plan on 7 pins top 3 .019 and bottom 4 .010 and that is prettymuch the only for sure thing at the moment. Any input on the base and sight housing down to pin color for the .010 pins, especially for long distance would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I highly recommend calling the guy at S&S before you buy-if you are hunting out west I recommend a 3-4 pin slider with first two pins 19 with last one 10. A 7 pin is awful busy imho.
Right now you could save 1/2 the $ by going with a used sight -lots of them out there in off season.

I agree with the busy sight comment - some prefer 3, 4 or 5 pins, I run 4 myself in the BG Ascent, customized it off of the same site.

Just to give you my considerations:
I run 4 because that gets me out to 50 yds with the slider zeroed, and if I want to practice farther, I can use the dial. 0.019 is pretty small, I ended up running .01 only on my last pin, 0.019 is fine for the closer ranges for me. I ordered the smaller flashpoint head simply for reduced weight, and got the 4" dovetail which I love; any farther out and I feel like it would be akward for me to carry around the mountains.

Hope that helps

I have that in the 5 pin. Love it. 7 pins are too many I think. Mine are 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. If anything is out past that then I can move the wheel.

I wouldn't shoot an elk past 55-60, but I've smoked a few gophers at 90. Great sight.

I think you're on the right track. Having a lot of personal experience with these setups, I recommend a 5 pin. The adjustable sight will allow for distance but keep it simple for almost all of your shooting. My bottom pins are green as they show up better than red in bright light.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Minnesotahunter do you know if the vengence head is that much different than the surge, I was thinking of going with that one for the micro adjustments. Also I have a basic pse sight on my bow right now and it has 7 pins to me its not that busy but Im gonna rethink the 7 pins on this sight since the overwelming majority is saying stick to 5 or below. I will try and call steve from s&s on monday and get some advice. Does anyone have any experience with the lens kit? Thanks again

Thanks for the advice everyone. Minnesotahunter do you know if the vengence head is that much different than the surge, I was thinking of going with that one for the micro adjustments. Also I have a basic pse sight on my bow right now and it has 7 pins to me its not that busy but Im gonna rethink the 7 pins on this sight since the overwelming majority is saying stick to 5 or below. I will try and call steve from s&s on monday and get some advice. Does anyone have any experience with the lens kit? Thanks again

The vengence and surge are pretty similar, they use the same adjustment wheels for the pins, but the vengence adds a thumbscrew for adjusting your gang adjustments.

I would also reccomend dropping a couple of pins, keeping seven pins negates some of the advantage of having the ascents wheel adjustment. I have two ascents the first was a 3 pin and the second one I added a 4th pin.

Back