Black bear hunting with in Montana-- HB 144

Below is attached the Position Statement from Montana Sportsmen Alliance on HB 144-allowing hounds to hunt bears. If this bill is of concern to you make your thoughts known to the FWP House Committee members.

TO THE HOUSE FISH, WILDLIFE & PARKS COMMITTEE:

RE: HB 144-Allow hound hunting for black bears

POSITION: Montana Sportsmen’s Alliance hereby goes on record OPPOSING this bill based on the following reasons:

• Fall season conflicts with other sportsman groups. Hounds would be disruptive to other hunting activities (elk, deer, grouse, goats, sheep, etc.) already in progress.

• With spring seasons we have concerns that sows with cubs could be chased, and that could put either dogs or bears in potential trouble.

• Wildlife harassment is an issue at any time of the year, but spring time is especially a concern. Disturbances caused by hounds could have negative effects on pregnant female ungulates, and displace other wildlife at a crucial time.

• Montana has a growing Grizzly bear population. How would that effect delisting? We do know that a mix of hounds, Grizzly bears, and man wouldn’t work too well.

• According to MT Fish Wildlife & Parks personnel, black bear populations are sustainable right now. With a hound season added, other types of bear hunting opportunities could be impacted negatively.

Once again we would like to state our OPPOSITION for HB 144

Thank you for your time and consideration. Montana Sportsmen Alliance Leadership Group

The biggest problem I see with this bill, is it divides hunters at a time when we need to be united.

Houndsmen are a small percentage of the total hunters in the field. The conflicts that will arise with this method are potentially to great for the small recreational gain in harvest and opportunity. If we needed more harvest I would consider it, but that's not he case.

Shoots

Non-hunters and especially anti hunters generally find any type of hound chasing repugnant. Why give them more ammo and risk cat chasing further down the line? Why give them more ammo to lose your spring season when those cute cubs are out?

I love reading the site every spring while everyone up north is chasing bears (while I’m down here with my thumb up my @*&#$).

Don’t risk losing it all. Ditch the thought.

I understand the desire of houndsmen to want more seasons and more species to chase. The same as I understand muzzleloader nuts wanting their own seasons, etc.

Though I understand the desire of both, I don't support either. Both come at a significant compromise/impact to existing hunting opportunities.

We have a great mix of seasons/opportunities/species to hunt in Montana, currently balancing the diverse interest groups we have. Adding opportunity to one group, at the expense/impact of another, changes that balance, a balance already difficult to maintain.

You Montana boys crack me up.

cur dog, where do you hunt / live? What's so funny? We appreciate your tuning in to the Montana legislative craziness, but in order to keep you entertained we need to know what "cracks" you up.

.... and what's your take on bear hunting with hounds ... and why?

Just so everyone is clear: the bill would give the commission the authority to set up hound hunting. It does not force the dept. to institute it. Just provides the authority to.

The commission could tailor it to say, the island ranges where there are no grizz, or they could make it a ring only hunt.

Just an FYI.

Just so everyone is clear: the bill would give the commission the authority to set up hound hunting. It does not force the dept. to institute it. Just provides the authority to.

The commission could tailor it to say, the island ranges where there are no grizz, or they could make it a ring only hunt.

Just an FYI.

Ben, what happens if we get a far right wing teabagger in as Governor, and he appoints Toby Bridges, Paul Ellis, John Brendan, John Andre, and Bob Fanning as commissioners? What do you suppose they would do with that law?

Ben, what happens if we get a far right wing teabagger in as Governor, and he appoints Toby Bridges, Paul Ellis, John Brendan, John Andre, and Bob Fanning as commissioners? What do you suppose they would do with that law?

Robert,

I'm not advocating for the bill. I just wanted to be sure everyone knew what they were opposing.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the concept rather than the facts. Much like how SFW doesn't let facts get in the way of their righteous rage against the woofs.

I think my head just exploded.

And Debby Barrett could be Director.

Robert,

I'm not advocating for the bill. I just wanted to be sure everyone knew what they were opposing.

It's easy to get wrapped up in the concept rather than the facts. Much like how SFW doesn't let facts get in the way of their righteous rage against the woofs.

So are you opposed to the bill?

Yes. I don't think we need hound hunting in MT for black bears.

I also don't think we need baiting for bears.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back