Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bison hunt in SD

T Bone

I had a couple friends come out this last week to hunt bison. Everything I've heard up to this point is that bison hunting here is a canned hunt. This place they went was a definate exception.

Both were using archery gear. They were hunting a bachelor group of old bulls in a 3000 acre area with rolling grasslands with treed creek bottoms. These buff are smart as any wild game. Very tough to put a sneak on. Fences mean nothing to the buff, if they want to go somewhere else they simply put the head down and walk through it.

One guy got a shot the first day and hit it badly. He trailed it the entire next day, they broke through 3 different fences before putting it down with a rifle. The 2nd guy never got a shot so at the 11th hour decided to take one of the breeding stock bulls out of the petting zoo pasture.

I have no affiliation with the ranch. Just passing on the info for those with an few extra $ in their pocket.

Here is their website: www.sdbisonhunt.com

That looks like a blast! Be a great addition to a trip out that way chasing pheasants.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back