Bison bullet

MaddH

I’ve been shooting 175gr Nosler Accubond LR out of my 28 Nosler and not happy with the performance. Shot my sheep at 308yds and all I got was pencil size exit holes. Was going to use it on bison this summer but now thinking of switching to either 160gr Accubond or 160gr Partitions. Any thoughts ?

I was somewhat disappointed with penetration using 165gr. Accubonds out of my .308 last year on cow elk but, admittedly, the shots were up close and personal. I'd opt for a monometal like the aforementioned TTSX to maximize penetration.

150gr. Nolser E-tip. It would expand and penetrate like no-one's business!
160gr. Nosler Accubond
160gr. Nosler Partition
175gr. Nosler Partition.
I personally would feel comfortable with any of these bullets in your 28 Nosler.

Last edited:
Do not use Accubond LR. They will explode too close and not open at long range. I have a 28 and 30 Nosler and had same problem. Too much poop behind round. I use the regular Accubond in my .28 with perfect success on several elk. If you want even better shoot a Barns LRX. That’s what I use in my .30. for shoulder shots.

I’ve been shooting 175gr Nosler Accubond LR out of my 28 Nosler and not happy with the performance. Shot my sheep at 308yds and all I got was pencil size exit holes. Was going to use it on bison this summer but now thinking of switching to either 160gr Accubond or 160gr Partitions. Any thoughts ?
Did the sheep die?

Without reloading I'd suggest Nosler factory ammo in the regular AccuBond or Partition, start looking soon as that can be hard to find. Also, look at semi-custom loads using these same Nosler bullets or Swift A-Frames. Companies like Unknown Munitions, I've heard good things about them, but reload my own.

I found some Weatherby select 28 nosler ammo with hammer custom 163 gr . Thoughts ? Or they have 180gr Berger vld ?

I think that there is too much overthinking about the bullets.

It's more about bullet placement than bullet brand or caliber.

I've had several friends that killed their buffalo with their .22-250s, and I killed my buffalo with a 435 gr lead bullet from my .54 cal. BP Hawken rifle.

I assume this is just a ranch meat hunt so any bullet that gives good penetration, placement should be pretty easy at those ranges.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back