Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bird dog advice

Socialize. Get the dog used to living in your environment. Don't go overboard with obedience until it gets more mature.

Do you have a place to run it? Do you have birds? If not, you'll need a pro.

Regarding gunshyness, I've seen people screw up their dogs doing it the wrong way. The right way to is the get the dog obsessed with birds and then start firing a starter pistol. What does gunfire have to do with feeding? Nothing! Gunfire means birds and your dog should LOVE birds!

Great advice all around.

I've got a very excitable lab who can be a big challenge. It's not her fault, it's mine. Remember that above all else and you'll do ok.

Go slow, keep your cool & remember, this is supposed to be fun.

The other piece of advice I have is to ask people for advise. A lot. Don't be afraid to ask, especially here. There are some fantastic people who work with dogs on this site and they freely offer their help & help you laugh at your failures, BECAUSE THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN!

what kind of dog are you getting Rye?
I've only owned one dog ( brit lab), going on 10 years now :( and will soon be picking a new pup up (pudelpointer) next spring.

I suggest if you havent already, stick to the book you're reading for training, dont take shortcuts.
If you're getting a dog with great hunting bloodlines, its amazing how much is built into them and the foundation (basic obedience) should be the focus.
Dont lose your temper or if you feel like you're getting frustrated, just stop and take a break until later or tomorrow.
Keep it to Short, positive sessions
What kennel are you getting a PP out of? I have a Rock Creek PP and I had a Killbuck PP.

Standing Stone Kennels has some good videos on YouTube that I recommend viewing.

what kind of dog are you getting Rye?
I've only owned one dog ( brit lab), going on 10 years now :( and will soon be picking a new pup up (pudelpointer) next spring.

I suggest if you havent already, stick to the book you're reading for training, dont take shortcuts.
If you're getting a dog with great hunting bloodlines, its amazing how much is built into them and the foundation (basic obedience) should be the focus.
Dont lose your temper or if you feel like you're getting frustrated, just stop and take a break until later or tomorrow.
Keep it to Short, positive sessions
I'm getting an English Cocker Spaniel

Hmmm. Cocker wouldn't be my first choice. Great personality but seem to have many genetic issues. The hair is high maintenance when hunting. I have a French Brittany about the same size who is nine now and zero vet bills so far except shots and spaying. None of my Labs were that lucky.

The degree of "training" needed is largely dependent on the dog ... and the breed. My Labs required almost nothing beyond basic obedience. Just a great breed. Attached is a photo of Opal twelve years ago this month. She was only three months old and doing everything - pointing, retrieving, and flushing. No e-collar on that pup ... or any of my dogs. Also attached is my current Lab Ellie age five. By the time she was two I'd almost given up on her as a hunting dog (great family dog). Mostly along for the ride socializing with the other two dogs. Then one day after I'd worn Opal plum out and was frustrated not being able to see Puppy (Fr Brit) on point in high CRP, I left the two older dogs in the Jimmy and decided to see what Ellie could do on her own. Wow!! Turns out she is a SPECTACULAR pointing dog and great retreiver ... if she works alone. I'm so glad I didn't try to force her to fit some kind of image of what I thought she should be. Sometimes it's better to figure out what makes the dog work instead of forcing it to work the way you want it to. Be flexible. Think outside the box. One of the problems I have with books is they often don't take into account the variations in individual personalities, dog and handler.

Keep the dog in the house, no matter what breed you pick. You'll both be on the same page that way. Or you'll drive each other nuts. My experience hunting around kenneled dogs has not been very edifying.

I have avoided e-collars but also have the luxury of spending a LOT of time in the field with well bred dogs every fall. It can be done without e-collars. Just requires the time and patience. How much depends on the dog. I never used live birds for training. Too much hassle and bylaws against it where I live now. It might have helped Ellie along but Opal was always there to pick up the slack so not a problem. We lost very few birds.
OpalPatSharpies (1).jpg
1129181400.jpg

I'm getting an English Cocker Spaniel

check out Ron from the Hunting Dog Podcast. He has an English Cocker and posts some info. Also, the guy from Cato Outdoors does a lot with these type dogs and has good info.https://catooutdoors.com/pages/place-board-training-videos

One last tip, which my wife still makes fun of me everytime i do this, but assist your dog out of your vehicle to help those joints last long, so far, knock on wood, my lab doesnt have any joint/hip issues

I thought Ron ran Bracco Italiano's? but yes hes entertaining to listen to!

Getting my PP from Smokin' Barrels out of Iron, MN; The stud dog for the pups is from Rock Creek-- Eddy I believe; cant wait!

One last tip, which my wife still makes fun of me everytime i do this, but assist your dog out of your vehicle to help those joints last long, so far, knock on wood, my lab doesnt have any joint/hip issues

I thought Ron ran Bracco Italiano's? but yes hes entertaining to listen to!

Getting my PP from Smokin' Barrels out of Iron, MN; The stud dog for the pups is from Rock Creek-- Eddy I believe; cant wait!
He has Bracco’s and a Taffy (cocker).
Eddy is the sire of my dog. All this dog cares about is hunting lol. Good luck!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back