Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bird dog advice

RyeGuy74

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for a guy who'll be bringing his first bird dog home in a few months?

Obedience.

Don’t give commands you can’t enforce.

If the dog screws up, it’s your fault. Set them up for success.

Obedience.

If you want them to travel well, take them everywhere from day one.

Obedience.

An e-collar is a magical tool when used correctly, and will cause problems if it’s not.

Don’t forget obedience.

In all seriousness, you’ll quickly forget what life was like without them. Enjoy it.😁

Obedience is your first task (and doesn’t stop) and the most important one (in case you didn’t get the subtle hint from @Hunting Wife )

Honestly, I don’t know that I can expand on what she said above. That nails it.

I will only add to the ‘set them up for success’ tip by saying that game farm birds and open training fields are a godsend to early dog training. The same way most people start their kids off with bluegills and worms. I would inquire at a nearby game farm about dog training potential (the one closest to us gives discounts on birds and members can use 40-160 acre fields for training with said birds for free)

Obedience is your first task (and doesn’t stop) and the most important one (in case you didn’t get the subtle hint from @Hunting Wife )

Honestly, I don’t know that I can expand on what she said above. That nails it.

I will only add to the ‘set them up for success’ tip by saying that game farm birds and open training fields are a godsend to early dog training. The same way most people start their kids off with bluegills and worms. I would inquire at a nearby game farm about dog training potential (the one closest to us gives discounts on birds and members can use 40-160 acre fields for training with said birds for free)
I'll definitely have to look into that!

One other thing that someone told us years ago and has been extremely useful is to get them used to being manhandled. Look in their ears, mouth, eyes, play with their feet, basically poke and prod and make them sit/lie still. Start it as soon as you bring them home. It has been so useful for checking them over after a hunt, removing cactus spines, removing porcupine quills, cleaning wounds, swabbing seeds out of eyes. Plus your vet will thank you.

Now she knows she gets a treat after she’s done so just flops right over. Easy peasy.

Find one training system that fits your personality and resources and stick to it. Jumping from one book or tape or approach doesn’t help. When you apply it, remember that all dogs are different and yours may not come along in line with the program. Have patience. Mostly, show him or her lots of birds.

Be real careful how you introduce the dog to guns or any loud noises. I always started with a cap gun at feeding time from a distance and every evening would close the distance. Eventually went up to a .22 and then a shotgun from a greater distance. Watch the dog's reaction each time. I'm sure there's other thoughts on this, just the way I started with my first Brittany in 83'.

Keep the lessons short and fun, Get HAPPY when they do good and reward with A lot of treats.I bought 2 brothers and they are 7 months now pointing birds, retrieving and backing I have done it all without a shock coller my first time owning any bird dog. Pay attention to your dog and what your commanding him to do, start as soon as you get him day 1

All good tips so far. Socializing and poking/prodding is key especially if you have kids. They respond far better to the tone of your voice/command, not the volume.

Ecollar and whistle training is a must (if training yourself, Willow Creek Kennels has good videos on this).

Run the dog a good 10 or 15 minutes before starting training sessions so they get the stupid out of them first.

Everyone says with GSPs that at 2 years old they figure it out, 100% true. Kennel training is your best friend until then.

Good luck! It’s so rewarding the first time they point and retrieve a bird for you

Bird dogs,,,, that covers everything from retrievers, to flushers, to pointers. I can't help much with the first two.

Pointing dogs are the only bird dogs I've owned. I do have some thoughts on them.

First, if you get a puppy,,, take it on walks from the get go. Let it explore and learn to go with you. When they are puppies they will lean on you for confidence. It is a golden opportunity to teach the dog to handle and hunt to the front.

Do not expect perfection from a young dog. Do not shoot birds it mishandles. Only shoot birds for them when they allow you to flush in front of their point.

There are many good books on training pointing dogs, I would not include Richard Wolter's books among them.

Be careful a pointing dog can change your life, I know they did it to me.

47135D42-FD1F-4EA3-8578-15903B44DDD8.jpeg

I’d recommend perfect start by Perfection Kennels and Joan Baileys book How to Help Gun Dogs Train Themselves. Most importantly, exposure to wild birds. Have fun

If you haven't trained one before, find a professional trainer to guide you along the way. It is much easier to do that, than to correct something later on.

what kind of dog are you getting Rye?
I've only owned one dog ( brit lab), going on 10 years now :( and will soon be picking a new pup up (pudelpointer) next spring.

I suggest if you havent already, stick to the book you're reading for training, dont take shortcuts.
If you're getting a dog with great hunting bloodlines, its amazing how much is built into them and the foundation (basic obedience) should be the focus.
Dont lose your temper or if you feel like you're getting frustrated, just stop and take a break until later or tomorrow.
Keep it to Short, positive sessions

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Djulson
Back