Binos What size for packing around.

I have a pair of Nikon 8/15 X50 I think that I have used for years but are kind of bulky. Last year I got Vortex 10X42 and love them. On a harness I don't even notice they are there.

I agree that the 10x50s bounce a lot with a standard harness. However, bought an FHF and like above, they are part of me. My 5'2" girlfriend even used the set up for turkey hunting this year and loved them. Also nominate Leupold. Dealt with their warranty first hand this year. Old pair of 10x50 cascades would not focus properly anymore, out of adjustment. Sent them in and received a call that I would be receiving a new pair of Mojave Pro Guide HD. OK!

8x42 leupold . With a Cabelas harness . Had same combo for 12 years now and never failed me

I sure like my Steiner 8 x 30's. They are lightweight, rubberized, have individual diopter's that stay set for my vision, have nice covers over the lens. gather good light, and provide a crisp image at long distance. They are also guaranteed for life. I had this pair since 1980, and sent them into their repair facility. I think they just sent me a new pair back for free! I looked at all the bino pouches out there, and decided they're just another something to deal with and too bulky.

10x56 Steiners and if I need to look further or a better look the spotter comes out.

Switched from 10's to 8's this year. The wider field of view and being slightly more steady to free hand were my reasons for the switch.

My 8x30 SLC's have been incredible and a pleasure to look thru the last 11 years, but I dream of the day I own a set of 10x42 EL's.

Went to an airshow in Oshkosh, WI... somebody there had a pair of Steiner 10x42 at half off since they were being discontinued or something. Sold. My dad has 10x42 monarch's and he was thinking about upgrading. The whitetail hunter in me hated carrying bino's and usually kept them in my pack. Now they're in a harness and other than my bow and license, one of the few things I absolutely will not leave in camp.

I have Steiner 10X42 predator binocs, Brunton 11X45 Eterna, and Nikon 10X42 Monarch.

I use the Nikon 10X42 100 percent of the time as they are far superior to Steiner or Brunton.

If you wear eyeglasses, eye relief is an important consideration.

Here are four recommendations from http://www.opticsden.com

Nikon Monarch Binoculars

Nikon Monarch binoculars come in three sizes: 8X42, 10X42, and 12X42, so you have many choices at your disposal. The standard 10X42 have a 288 ft. field of view, and 18.4mm eye relief. Also, these binoculars are waterproof, fog proof, and have coated lenses. They weigh around 21.9 ounces.

Bushnell Legend Ultra HD

These are Bushnell’s most critically acclaimed binoculars, and it is no surprise that they are some of the best binoculars for hunting out there. They come in 4 sizes: 8X36, 8X42, 10X36, and 10X42. The 10X42 variety have a 340 ft. field of view, and 15.2 mm eye relief. Like the Nikon pair, Bushnell Legend Ultra binoculars are waterproof, fog proof and have coated lenses. They weigh in at 24.7 ounces.

Vortex Diamondback

Vortex Diamondback binoculars are of very high quality, and although the company is not as big as its competitors, it can deliver a great product. Diamondbacks come in 4 sizes: 8X28, 8X42, 10X42, and 12X50. The 10X42 pair have a 345 ft. field of view and 16 mm eye relief. These binoculars are waterproof, fog proof and have coated lenses. They weigh 24.4 ounces.

Vanguard Spirit ED

Vanguard’s Spirit ED binoculars are very worthy of mention in this section. They come in four sizes: 8X36, 8X42, 10X42, and 10X50. The 10X42 pair have a 314 ft. field of view and 16 mm eye relief. Like its counterparts in this section, these binoculars are waterproof, fog proof, and have coated lenses. They weigh a bit more than the other binoculars in this section at 29.8 ounces.

See also http://www.advancedhunter.com/best-hunting-binoculars-under-500/

If you can afford, it you could go for higher quality with more $.

I sure like my Steiner 8 x 30's. They are lightweight, rubberized, have individual diopter's that stay set for my vision, have nice covers over the lens. gather good light, and provide a crisp image at long distance. They are also guaranteed for life. I had this pair since 1980, and sent them into their repair facility. I think they just sent me a new pair back for free! I looked at all the bino pouches out there, and decided they're just another something to deal with and too bulky.

I had a similar experience, I had a pair of Steiner BigHorn binocs for 20 years and loved them.
I had to send them in for repair.

They sent back a pair of new Steiner Predators which were not nearly as clear as the BigHorns and inferior relative to my Nikon binocs.

The new Predators did not arrive with a neck strap which I though was pretty poor service.

With a lifetime guarantee I expected to receive my BigHorns back repaired.

Vortex Viper 8x28. Small,light,easy to carry, very clear. 10X too shaky for me. Perfect for packing in, not bulky nor heavy.

Take a look at the Maven B-2 9x45 I was skeptical that they were going to be a little to large however I love them. Picture is great and the 45mm gathers light well thru the end of legal shooting light. Good ergonomics for me as well plus lifetime warranty

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back