Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Montana Buck

thecrittergitter

Well, as disheartning as this story is, I know there are lots that would like to see a nice buck. A long story short:

I had been watching this buck this summer and had made him my #1 target for the 2010 archery season. I was pretty certain i had this big buck figured out and was convinced I would arrow him this season. Well, the first night i could finally set up on him, i had nothing come out due to horrible weather. The second night however, i had a bunch of shots at deer, in fact a couple dandy bucks that normally would have gotten shot had i not known this guy may be coming soon:) Anyway, about 15 minutes before shooting light ended, i got my opportunity, he walked out of the brush and stopped broadside at 31 yards. I settled the pin and a shot and heard the crack. I could see that i hit him about 4" high of center and about 4" into his shoulder. In fact the arrow hit and broadhead lodged right dead center of the shoulder bone.

I tracked the deer the next day and actually the deer ran across the Interstate and across the river. So, disheartened after shooting the largest whitetail i may ever get to shoot, we still checked for birds or coyotes for about 7 days following. WHen none of that showed, we figured he may have lived to give me another opportunity...

Well, about 400 yards from where my buck crossed the interstate that night, he tried to do it again last week with much less success. A mini van hammered him at about 70 mph and ended my hope of kiling this deer later on. Montana FWP allowed me to come in and look at him up close and so i snapped a couple of photos while i was looking at it. Pictures don't do this guy justice but its sad to see a buck like this go to waste, although i feel better that it was the car and not my shot.

Here are a couple of the pictures we snapped of this awesome buck.......they will tape him and let me know, but we are guessing in the 165-170 range....

This is what happens when you blow an easy shot................

Attachments

• Deer Front-small.jpg
    Deer Front-small.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 482
  • Deer Side-small.jpg
    Deer Side-small.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 481
  • Deer Side 2-small.jpg
    Deer Side 2-small.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 480
  • Deer Front 2-small.jpg
    Deer Front 2-small.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 497
That really is an amazing buck.
Just remember that with hunting, the highs wouldn't be so high if the lows weren't so low

unreal nothing was broke on that thing but the skull plate. How those tines survived is a miracle

Brandon, sent him to him the other day....
As far as the carcass goes, i'm waiting a little longer now to go dig out the broadhead if its still there by the time i come back to it. The thing was so utterly disgusting i couldn't sit there long enough to even cut on it with all the maggots and hair falling off. Worst stench ever....

He really is an awesome buck, sure hate to see him go like that. What a bummer.

Looks like i'm gonna have to settle for his brother that is hanging around now which was buck #2 for choices..............looks to be just a bit under 160 maybe...........my buddy had him come by his spot at 6 yards a little unexpedly a while back but never got a shot due to hunter decision error:):)LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back