Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Buck on FE Warren

Doug were you hunting base again this year?
Nope. I was going to hunt 34, but brakes went out on pickup and not going to use my wife's car for hunting. Pickup is old beatup one and the brake lines are dry rotted and expensive. I shoulda put in for 38 which would include FE Warren and I would just need a cooler to quarter it up and take the meat and could use the car then. I am not yet in the best health for hunting yet as I am dealing with liver and diabetes related issues and had a TIA last year elk hunting. Working on losing weight before next year comes up so I can do it while I still have the physical ability to do it.

Them big bucks hang out in the housing areas while antelope season is open including the archery and you see mostly immature bucks in the north HMA area. And I think this is one smart buck. You like how close I was able to approach him with my cell phone? I was maybe 30 feet away when I took the picture then he turned his head toward me and got up and walked away. Didn't run, just casually walked away.

Last edited:
They are all over FE. I have them next to my truck everyday. Just usually not in the hunting areas.
Yup and they are relatively tame until they are shot at or approached by people or dogs. On Randall they are often bedded near the porches of them old buildings within 10 feet of people that work or temp housed there.

I used to live about 10 houses from the north fence
Any thing north of Dry Creek that runs by the stables on base is part of the HMA. I periodically put on for a tag on base. Half the time I can sit by the truck in a folding chair and they eventually walk close enough to the truck to shoot with my bow. They spook as soon as you move in that area tho. I am on the base every day pretty much and live about five miles away.

I've come to love and hate those goats on base, I do enjoy how stupid they are but hate it when the ding dongs refuse to move out of the road.

There's a few bucks roaming around the base that'll make me stop now and then.

I've come to love and hate those goats on base, I do enjoy how stupid they are but hate it when the ding dongs refuse to move out of the road.

There's a few bucks roaming around the base that'll make me stop now and then.
There is no access except during hunt season but if you went on that road outside the base that runs along the west side, the north west corner has a marshy area that is harboring some massive bucks.

Yup and they are relatively tame until they are shot at or approached by people or dogs. On Randall they are often bedded near the porches of them old buildings within 10 feet of people that work or temp housed there.
I used to see them bedded under the porch/lift on the back of the Post Office building. I was doing some work in there right around Christmas a few years back and we had a lot of snow and there was a doe under there eating a bunch of leaves that had piled up. Everything else was covered up with deep snow. I walked right on top of that old doe, did some work inside for an hour so, and when I came out she was still there. Didn’t bother her at all having me standing right on top of her looking down.

I used to see them bedded under the porch/lift on the back of the Post Office building. I was doing some work in there right around Christmas a few years back and we had a lot of snow and there was a doe under there eating a bunch of leaves that had piled up. Everything else was covered up with deep snow. I walked right on top of that old doe, did some work inside for an hour so, and when I came out she was still there. Didn’t bother her at all having me standing right on top of her looking down.
Yeah they also used to hang out by the fitness center. I got to see some premature births a few years ago. Didn't have camera at time so used stock images to show what I was seeing and caught flak from some lurkers LOL. With all the chemicals on base, I am not surprised if I see or hear about premature deer or speedgoat births on base.

Anyways, I like watching them out the window when I was working out there not more than 10 feet away. They also liked bedding in that center grass area between the two main walks that approach the entrance of the fitness center. People walking by no more than 5 feet away didn't disturb them at all.

I agree you guys, those big bucks must be friends with the 20th AF commander. I used to do reserve duty on base and being from western CO I was not used to seeing them that close and without running. It's a shame they're so dump when it involves fences and highways. Never get tired of looking at them!

I agree you guys, those big bucks must be friends with the 20th AF commander. I used to do reserve duty on base and being from western CO I was not used to seeing them that close and without running. It's a shame they're so dump when it involves fences and highways. Never get tired of looking at them!
That commander wants us to kill some more. Virtually all applications to that HMA are approved if they have base access. They want to cut that herd in half.

As far as I am aware, those antelope don't hurt anything or anyone. Are they or have they done harm to anyone or anything? Are they over the desired objective for unit 38? I wouldn't think the commander knows much about the Wyo Fish & Game's antelope management plans. Sure, I'd like to have a chance at one of those bucks, but just because their roaming around the base doesn't mean they need to be killed.

I guess I should have directed my comments re the antelope herd to the base commander not 20th AF commander....guess it doesn't really matter. Truth is anytime a nice buck is within range any hunter would probably like a chance at it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back