Better late than never...

RACHGIER

I suppose 6 months late on an introduction is still better than none at all...

So here goes.

I don't know if I would call myself an "Adult Onset" hunter, more like the prodigal hunter. I grew up in PA and NY learning how to shoot, hunt, and reload from my grandfather. My family was firmly entrenched in the suburbs so there were some glamping vacations, but no hunting. Joined the Corps when I was 17, started a family when I got out, and then moved back to NY with a brief stop in CO when that fell apart. I spent 9 years in NY getting my life back on track and serving my community as a Firefighter/Medic. I was forcibly retired due to a line of duty injury to my spine that left me paralyzed for a short time. Even though I was able to build myself back up strong enough to return to active duty, years of playing hard had taken it's toll on me and I just wasn't able to answer the bell as quick as I needed to. So when I became officially retired and disabled, the fiance and I decided it was time to get our kids out of NY and away from the drugs, violence, and crime that were becoming 'normal' societal behavior.

I had always talked about how much I loved Colorado, during the brief time I had been out here living with a good friend, so we found a 4 bedroom house on an acre of land and pulled the trigger. Now we've been out here for just over a year and my good friend John Cushman decided I needed to start hunting again. He gave me a muzzle loader for my birthday, and hooked me up with a guy selling a good used bow for a great price. So now I am officially a fledgling bow hunter. We've gone on a few hunts and I've managed to fill 2 pronghorn tags. First ever bow kill, first ever muzzle loader kill, and first ever antelope kills. We just finished up a week of elk hunting with and meeting David, from here on Hunt Talk, and although we didn't fill any tags it was an awesome experience being out there. I've got 2 whitetail doe archery tags left to fill this year, then I'm going to be down for a few months to have another back surgery to fix some problems they tried to let heal on their own, which obviously haven't. If all goes well, I'll be off and hobbling for spring turkey.

As for the prodigal hunter vs adult onset hunter thing, I did do some hunting in NC after I got out of the Marines. I managed to get in to a 'good ole boy' hunting circle by virtue of being a Damn Yankee who could shoot, and working for the head good ole boy. They used to sit around after work at the old tobacco barn he used to store tools and plink squirrels and birds in the surrounding trees. After a couple of days of out shooting a couple of the crew, I was invited to hunt. It was all shotguns and deer dogs, and at first it was okay. I soured on it after a while when guys were just blasting away at the deer and ruining meat. It didn't help that I got "taxed" on every deer I took, but nobody else did. So I just put down my guns, and stopped hunting. Now I'm back, loving the thrill of the hunt again, and looking forward to filling plenty of tags.

20160830_173914.jpg20160925_212831.jpgDSCF0591.jpg

Look out Hunt Talk, here comes another member of the Cushman Crew. :) Welcome Aboard RACHGIER.

I go through stages in life where I think I am developing a more mature personality. Then I read this and I realize I haven't aged one bit haha.

I've developed a more mature personality. I just refuse to deploy it.

I have Beavis and Butthead tattooed on my calves...there is no maturity here :hump:

Is it just regular Beavis or the GREAT CORNHOLIO?

To the o.p., welcome aboard. Also as a southerner I prefer the term godless yankey to damn yankey. It just has a little more zip. Just kidding for sure but if your a friend of Cushmans you probably already have a good comeback anyway. Please don't judge all southern hunting by the dog guys. Its fun to hear the chase but I'm with you on the craziness.

Thank you for serving! and welcome aboard.

Is it just regular Beavis or the GREAT CORNHOLIO?

To the o.p., welcome aboard. Also as a southerner I prefer the term godless yankey to damn yankey. It just has a little more zip. Just kidding for sure but if your a friend of Cushmans you probably already have a good comeback anyway. Please don't judge all southern hunting by the dog guys. Its fun to hear the chase but I'm with you on the craziness.

Thank you for serving! and welcome aboard.

I used to love pointing out that being born in Florida meant I was from farther South than they were, and being educated in the North meant I could sign my name instead of using an 'X'. I don't really have a problem with the dog guys, it just wasn't my thing.

Welcome, my brother was in the Corps and stationed in NC as well. Can't say much for the hunting, but the fishing was great when I visited him! I'm just up north in Wyo but it sounds like the this Cushman crew is where it's at! Hope you fill your tags and if you ever make it through Cheyenne let me know, I'll have a cold brew waiting for ya if you partake. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Welcome, my brother was in the Corps and stationed in NC as well. Can't say much for the hunting, but the fishing was great when I visited him! I'm just up north in Wyo but it sounds like the this Cushman crew is where it's at! Hope you fill your tags and if you ever make it through Cheyenne let me know, I'll have a cold brew waiting for ya if you partake. Good luck with the rest of your season.

Oh, I partake every once in a while. John is trying to convince me to make a run to Wyoming to hunt in the next few years. I loved living on the beach in NC. I used to be a commercial fisherman and worked construction. Built the big million dollar beach homes in the summer when the surfers were too busy surfing to work, and commercial fished in the winter when it was too cold for them and they came back to work. It was nice having the same boss for both jobs. You can't get in trouble for skipping work to go fishing when he beats you to the dock.

As far as this Cushman Crew thing goes, give it a minute. I'm worse than he is.

Welcome to the party!!!! CO is definitely the way to go. I am thankful everyday that Uncle Sugar brought me out here and let me retire :) . I am in the Springs so if you are ever around up here hit me up for a beer.

If you're hanging with Cushman there's little hope for you. Welcome Marine from a North Carolinian who grew up hunting deer with dogs and coming back home 15 years later to find them using 4-wheel drive pickups and CB radios instead of getting their butts into the woods on stands and doing it properly....new generation "hunters". Agree with you on the fishing, love the Salt Life!

Welcome!

I swear I recognize the guy in the middle of your elk camp photo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back