Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Better late than never.

twodot

Well after putting everybody else who came around, and then all my family onto the "tagged out" list, it's my turn. Finally went for a mule deer hunt yesterday and passed on an ear width, heavy, but not too tall buck. This was my first day this season of packing a rifle. Yikes where did the season go? It is 13 below 0 but sunny and the temp is supposed to go into the 20s today. Time for a 3 day deer hunt for old dad. There are deer popping out like crazy on the south face hill above the house so this may be the day. Plan is to use the warm sunny hours from 9 till about 3 and look in every nasty hole I can walk past back in where the roadies can't see them. Got a good feeling. Solo snow hunts are hard to beat. I'm outa here!

Best of success Twodot! Knock a good one!

As for thanksgiving... Stuck in a hotel in AZ - meh. Deer hunting cut short... So much for my signature line...

Good luck out there!
You're looking pretty smart holding that deer tag this late, should be awesome conditions.

Good luck with that tag, I'm at home waiting on rolls to rise, then off to the inlaws.

Thanks guys! I stayed out till after dark. Never figured on it getting up to 30 degrees at last light. Nice heat wave. Nash ended up going with me and that made the day much better. We counted deer and didn't even try on elk. Totals were,
elk, two lagre herds of well over 100 each, three cows alone, one lone raghorn.
Mule deer, fifty-two. 49 does and 3 bucks that all had racks about like pencils. I thinks the mulie rut has passed. Does were in small family groups of 3-4, little dink bucks were alone. We saw peak movement about 12 noon and were still finding deer bedded out of the wind at sundown. Had a tuna sandwich for lunch. Never had trouble finding a mulie with "decent" horns until today. I am wondering if I should forget the doe spots and go looking back where I was seeing nice bucks at the end of archery elk season before the rut moved them around. I had a couple of quite shootable bucks that I would see in a particular drainage at that time. Looong walk in the snow to find out but that looks like my best bet.

Attachments

• IMG_8690.jpg
    IMG_8690.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 206
Back