Best video on guttless method ?

St52v

I just watched Fred Eichler do his version of the guttless method on you tube. It was pretty slick. Knowing what version to use to match the situation you are in may save you time and energy. Not to mention the best meat. What do you guys think? What videos doy you guys like?

Not too sure about that. Seems like all those cuts through the hide are going to introduce some hair into the meat, not to mention it would cool out much better without a thick hide around it.

I don't imagine you'd want to lay the backstrap across an un-skinned quarter like he does at 6:58 either.

Not too sure about that. Seems like all those cuts through the hide are going to introduce some hair into the meat, not to mention it would cool out much better without a thick hide around it.

i agree 100%... plus, why would you want to pack out the bone AND the hide??

Yep, 100% boneless here! Unless I'm packing antlers and a cape that is. :)

There is one problem i can see from an outsiders point of view (GB) if you never inspect the guts, liver, lungs, and other lymph nodes how can you be sure you havent shot an animal that is carrying a disease?
I only mention this because this week i shot a roe buck and when i inspected the lymph nodes it had TB, yuck, node full of yellow creamy puss and a tumour but i would never have known it should i have done the gutless method.
Cheers
Richard

Does there have to be something attached to the meat for sex I.D. in Colorado? If so what is the best way to do that if you do boneless?

Remove one of the rear quarters and leave the proof of sex attached to the meat. As you remove the meat from the bone, leave the proof of sex attached. Meat + no bones + proof of sex = lighter pack out and no ticket from the game warden.

Elk101.com has a really good gutless video. I've not seen fred but as long as the guts stay in your on the right track.

I put the evidence of sex in a plastic bag still attached to meat then put the meat in a game bag I don't want any part of the evidence of sex to touch the hind quarter.

I think all methods have their place,but the single best tip i have ever come across is ''Always cut in the direction of the hair''. In the videos that have been talked about the last couple weeks all make good points and they are basically correct however they all show guys making cuts against the grain of the hair. When i am skinning the body i work from the front to the back. On the legs work from the top down.You can still make all the same cuts but by working in the direction of the hair you almost completely eliminate hair on your meat,plus your knife will stay sharp much longer.Regardless of how you chose to break the animal down once skinned this little trick will insure that the final product is as clean as possible.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back