Best time of the season to hunt antelope.

Not a huge fan of hunting the rut here.
Bucks are constantly on the run, tending doe or running off smaller bucks.
I prefer just after the rut or before. Bucks are more relaxed and not chasing every other pronghorn all over the plains.
Not sure if lactic acid build up is a real thing or not but I would rather take an animal that was not running all over the country before my shot.

The rut is very interesting to watch though.
I like this line of thinking. From my knowledge and limited experience, just before the rut gives you bucks that are dedicated to an area but not fired up enough to be constantly patrolling it

Not a huge fan of hunting the rut here.
Bucks are constantly on the run, tending doe or running off smaller bucks.
I prefer just after the rut or before. Bucks are more relaxed and not chasing every other pronghorn all over the plains.
Not sure if lactic acid build up is a real thing or not but I would rather take an animal that was not running all over the country before my shot.

The rut is very interesting to watch though.

Fair point. One doe hunt I had, it was all I could do to safely put one doe down after 20 minutes of watching thru the scope. Those bucks were pushing for doe so fast I couldn't get a clean shot on just one. If I was without a tag it would have been good entertainment though.

As for taste, my experience is that properly cared for antelope meat is as good as elk or better. Keep it clean and get it on ice quickly. If you choose to hang it, do it after rapidly cooling to above freezing temps. If you can, let it go through rigor on the bone. If you're making sausage then it doesn't matter.

We did a blind taste test one year with mule deer, antelope, and elk. Elk took first, antelope - second, and mule deer last. I think the flavor of wild game depends on so many factors - diet, age of animal, and how quickly the meat is cooled and kept cool during processing. For me, the best season is the season I am able to draw a tag. This year it will be late season December. Last year it was a tough hunt, but still had fun getting out and we got close on some antelope. By this time most antelope were found on private - go figure - but we made a game plan to have my father in-law walk along the public/private boundary and was able to scare some in my direction. Still was too far of a shot for my ability, but we tried to make something happen and it almost worked.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back